DatabaseError on a fresh FreeNAS 8.3.0 x86 install

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGerman

Cadet
I installed FreeNAS 8.3.0 into a 8GB USB stick. Install was a success and when I'm trying to add a 2TB HD, it is failing to complete with DatabaseError:

Exception Type: DatabaseError at /storage/wizard/
Exception Value: You must not use 8-bit bytestrings unless you use a text_factory that can interpret 8-bit bytestrings (like text_factory = str). It is highly recommended that you instead just switch your application to Unicode strings.

Not knowing exactly what could be the problem, JUST IN CASE, tried to add the volume using a different browser. Same problem.

TIA. Hermann

Environment:

Software Version: FreeNAS-8.3.0-RELEASE-p1-x86 (r12825)
Request Method: POST
Request URL: http://192.168.2.180/storage/wizard/

Traceback:
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in get_response
105. response = middleware_method(request, callback, callback_args, callback_kwargs)
File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/freeadmin/middleware.py" in process_view
166. return login_required(view_func)(request, *view_args, **view_kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/contrib/auth/decorators.py" in _wrapped_view
20. return view_func(request, *args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/storage/views.py" in wizard
198. form.done(request)
File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/storage/forms.py" in done
402. force4khack=force4khack, path=ufspath)
File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/middleware/notifier.py" in init
258. f(objectid, *args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/middleware/notifier.py" in _init_volume
1320. self.__create_zfs_volume(volume, swapsize, kwargs.pop('groups', False), kwargs.pop('force4khack', False), kwargs.pop('path', None))
File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/middleware/notifier.py" in __create_zfs_volume
1062. vdevs, gnops, want4khack = self.__prepare_zfs_vdev(vgrp['disks'], vdev_swapsize, want4khack)
File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/middleware/notifier.py" in __prepare_zfs_vdev
1016. swapsize=swapsize)
File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/middleware/notifier.py" in __gpt_labeldisk
978. self.sync_disk(devname)
File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/middleware/notifier.py" in sync_disk
3464. if ident and qs.exists():
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/query.py" in exists
562. return self.query.has_results(using=self.db)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/sql/query.py" in has_results
441. return bool(compiler.execute_sql(SINGLE))
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/sql/compiler.py" in execute_sql
818. cursor.execute(sql, params)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/backends/sqlite3/base.py" in execute
337. return Database.Cursor.execute(self, query, params)

Exception Type: DatabaseError at /storage/wizard/
Exception Value: You must not use 8-bit bytestrings unless you use a text_factory that can interpret 8-bit bytestrings (like text_factory = str). It is highly recommended that you instead just switch your application to Unicode strings.

volume_manager-20130123-10h05.jpg

view_disks-20130123-10h31.jpg

system_information-20130123-10h32.jpg

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
That is pretty weird, all I can think of is some sort of corruption happened during installation.

D you care to try in another USB? Have you checked the sha256 of the downloaded ISO?

TheGerman

Cadet
D you care to try in another USB?

First I tried using a 2GB. During install I saw a complaint from installer that disk was smaller than necessary (OK, a few bytes).
Then I reinstalled using the 8GB microSDHC.

Will try again using the old 2GB (fresh install).

Have you checked the sha256 of the downloaded ISO?

sha256sum FreeNAS-8.3.0-RELEASE-p1-x86.iso is saying
162cd42b4059963542c9520fecd8617b6f842008d3a62145e293859ef0aa35db FreeNAS-8.3.0-RELEASE-p1-x86.iso

Which is the same as http://sourceforge.net/projects/freenas/files/FreeNAS-8.3.0/RELEASE-p1/x86/
162cd42b4059963542c9520fecd8617b6f842008d3a62145e293859ef0aa35db

Bad memory? Bad HD? Bad MoBo?

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
I dont thinkit will work on that 2GB.

Well, it doesn't not look like bad hardware.

Please paste:

sqlite3 /data/freenas-v1.db "select * from storage_disk"
camcontrol devlist -v
smartctl -i /dev/daX

(use pastebin.com or you'll probably be automoderated)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The manual, FAQ, release notes, and tons of forum posts make it completely clear that a 2GB USB stick is NOT a good way to go. Some 2GB sticks aren't a true 2GB stick and this will cause FreeNAS corruption. You need at least a 4Gb stick.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I could have sworn I did an edit and added stuff but I don't see it now.. so here it is again.

1. RAM test is the easiest to do(but least likely from personal experience). Doing 3-4 passes using memtest x86 should be a good indicator of bad RAM.
2. Is there any particular reason why you chose the x86 versus x64?
3. How much RAM are you actually using in the machine? You didn't say if you plan to use ZFS or UFS. ZFS is only recommended if you are using >6GB of RAM...but you are using the x86 version(so you can't use more than 4GB). Just looking for clarification. Alot of people that try to use ZFS with an absurdly small amount of RAM(usually 4GB or less, but sometimes 6GB or less) can have all sorts of weird issues that don't appear to be a RAM issue, but after an upgrade the issue disappears.
4. Can you post the system specs?

tingo

Contributor
FWIW, when I run memtest, I always run it for at least 4 hours, or overnight if I can. memory errors can take a long time to show up.

Status
Not open for further replies.