Creating users by "importing" from LDAP?

seanm

Guru
The docs here:
https://www.ixsystems.com/documentation/freenas/11.2/accounts.html

say: "If the network uses a directory service, import the existing account information using the instructions in Directory Services."

I'm unclear on the meaning of "import" there. I do have an LDAP server (actually macOS Open Directory), and while my test FreeNAS can talk to it, getting OD to work with smbldap-tools seems way too hard, so I don't think I'll use FreeNAS + OD at all.

Still, *importing* my users would be useful, to preserve user name, uid, etc. But as best as I can tell, the use of "importing" here doesn't mean a one-time copying in of user names, but rather they are actually talking about binding to LDAP.

Or is there an actual one-time import I'm missing?

seanm

Guru
So even if my LDAP server has *not* been "configured for and populated with Samba attributes" (as per the note in the docs), there's still value in hooking up my FreeNAS to my LDAP? I was under the impression that without the "Samba attributes" part, using LDAP was pointless (for my scenario of only doing SMB shares).

D

dlavigne

You'll definitely need the Samba attributes for using with SMB shares.

seanm

Guru
So is there a way to do a one-time 'import' of my users from LDAP to create local users on the FreeNAS? Or I basically have to type them all in by hand? (Not so bad, we are only 25 people here). This is my confusion about the use of the word "import".

seanm

Guru
For the moment, I have only a test VM so I've only created 1 test user. Once my order from iX arrives, I'll have to type in all the users manually, as it seems my only choice. I previously spent quite some time on Open Directory + FreeNAS, but the smbldap-tools part makes it near impossible from what I can tell...