CPU requirements for FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deprecated

Cadet
All legality aside(since there are still people who just torrent stuff anyway), build out another cheap FreeNAS to give to family. Doesn't need to be super powerful for an in home stream. For that matter have them chip in a few bucks to pay for it. A simple 1U Supermicro system will work. I literally bought something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/1U-Server-X...I-Rails-DVD-/132342311299?hash=item1ed0376983 for my stepdaughter to have as her own FreeNAS. Since you can always reseed send one big drive or four cheap small ones setup in stripe.

Setup said system then setup Syncthing on your system and their new system and synchronize while at your home. The system is now seeded and ready to go. ship them the system, and let them stream from their home while syncing things up to the master system. All the other systems should be setup so no one has access to the media directories.

This will do a couple things. First off you will not be using your internet to constantly stream, will reduce your power to transcode streams, and will offload the number of users. They can even use your plexpass still as they will just select their local server rather than yours. They will see faster load times too since they don't have to send requests to your home.

That's an interesting setup, bandwidth isn't much of a problem since google fiber rolled through but off-loading cpu transcoding to users would be pretty nice. That would also leave some cpu power for VMs to use for remote connection for my netbooks using a thin client.

Status
Not open for further replies.