corrupt or invlaid GPT detected

Status
Not open for further replies.

hootsmin

Cadet
Hi,

I have a freenas server which is an HP Proliant Microserver with 4 x WD Green 1TB disks in ZFS RAID5 which boots from USB stick. It has been working flawlessly for many years, but now it is knackered.

I am having problems with two of the disks which are flagged on boot with the following error message:
GEOM: ad4: corrupt or invalid GPT detected.
GEOM: ad4: GPT rejected -- may not be recoverable.
GEOM: ad6: corrupt or invalid GPT detected.
GEOM: ad6: GPT rejected -- may not be recoverable.

After this I get a message which says:
dev/raid5/raid5p1: DEFER FOR BACKGROUND CHECKING

and there is also a message which says:
Mounting local file system: WARNING: /mnt/storage was not properly dismounted

The NAS will sit for about 30 seconds and then I get a "fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode" and it reboots.

I am uncertain as to what course of action to take, I searched and found a few threads about attempting to repair the GPT, but I need to get the unit to stop rebooting first?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

hoots

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
What version of FreeNAS, what, if anything, have you done with the HBA on the system, how much RAM, there is no such thing as "ZFS RAID5", is that code for "RAID-Z1"? Have you been running the proper scrubs and SMART test regimen on the drives? If so, did you not get emails from the system? Or have you not been properly maintaining the pool, and it's possible that the system was in a bad state for quite some time and had a second failure?

Thanks.

hootsmin

Cadet
I am running version: 0.7.2 Sabanda (revision 5543).

The machine has 1GB of ram.

I am running RAID5.

I have not been maintaining anything so it is possible a second failure has occurred and I was not aware of the first failure.

I just had a brief look in the GUI and the array is marked as rebuilding.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You are not using what is know today as freenas. You are using nas4free and should check their forums.

hootsmin

Cadet
That is kind of strange, but OK.

unmounting the file system seems to have fixed the reboot issue and the array appears to be re-syncing so hopefully I wont be needing any support anyway.

danb35

Hall of Famer

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
It's cute, isn't it. 1GB of RAM, some old pre-modern-age FreeNAS that has no genetic relationship to what we call FreeNAS. And it works, supposedly.

danb35

Hall of Famer
You can't really blame him for going to freenas.org when he's running FreeNAS. How is he to know that iX bought the name and built a completely different product under it?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It also doesn't help when "nas4free.com" redirects to "freenas.org". :D
No way!

whois data says private registrant... @jkh - any idea what's going on here? This seems like the kind of thing that causes unnecessary trouble for everyone involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.