copy folder from different pool

Suwarna

Dabbler
Dear All,

due to covid-19 situation, stuck at home and tried to make use my old computer to install freenas (want to do this long time but no time due to work :) )
I am very newbie in freenas, myself is long time windows users.
i have a very simple question, i would like to move specific folders and subfolders from one pool to another pool. google there and here, found simple CLI via shell command, cp and indeed do the work. however, as in this trial i try to move 200GB data, its a bit curious on what is the progress % and what is the copy speed. understand that cp command dont have this luxury, just wonder is there any other utilities which having more "user friendly" showing the progress and would appreciate to give some example. thank you and stay safe ! :)

Yorick

Wizard
rsync -ah --progress source destination

Suwarna

Dabbler
another silly question maybe, currently am accessing rsync command via shell, if i turn of my browser , i assume the progress still on going rite ? thank you, :)

Yorick

Wizard

danb35

Hall of Famer

danb35

Hall of Famer
connect with something like PuTTY.
As an aside, Windows 10 includes an ssh client out of the box, so just ssh freenas_ip at the command prompt will do.

Suwarna

Dabbler
thanks all for advise, appreciate. so i did rsync on shell yesterday (on 1 of desktop i leave it ON last nite as that time still yet successfully using SSH), so i leave it on and went to slept. this morning when i woke up, seems that shell turn off (browser log out) and i tried to compare the folder files with original, it seems it still have around 70GB not copied yet. then i using TERRACOPY thru windows to copy again as there is the option to only copy / replace smaller files and terracopy return lot of failure log that target files are access denied. it seems the attribute files of new copied was "READ ONLY" ? how to change the attributes on that new files ? is it because when i use rsync, i logged as root and when i access thru windows, i logged thru another accounts and made this error ?

Apollo

Wizard
I prefer using "screen" over Tmux for remote CLI session over ssh.
I use Bitvise SSH Client rather than PuTTy.

You can use mc "Midnight Commander" as suggested by Danb35.
With mc, I believe there is an option to preserve files and folders attributes so copying or moving them from one location to another should be straight forward. I think it is default.
If copying or moving contents of datasets, why not use replication?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
using tar and pv with cp is probably the fastest way to get that transfer. pv gives you the throughput percentage.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Are the "folders" separate ZFS datasets? In that case I would prefer zfs send | zfs receive over rsync.

Suwarna

Dabbler
Patrick, yes the folders in seperate datasets, however i only want to move specific folder not all folders in those specific data set, is zfs send | zfs receive accommodate it ?

SweetAndLow, thanks, will try to explore tar and pv command.

Apollo, Dan35, thanks. will explore mc also. the reason am not using replication because on the same reason above that i only want to re-arrange folders and not all folders in dataset.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I prefer using "screen" over Tmux for remote CLI session over ssh.
As I understand it, screen is more GNU; tmux is more BSD--but either will do the trick, of course.