Configuration and support questions

Bains999

Cadet
I am contemplating switching from Netgear NAS solutions to the iX Systems solutions.

Hopefully this post is appropriate for this forum and if not accept my apologies.

My personal background is Windows based systems with a heavy reliance on the Windows GUI with very occasional uses of the command line interface. My understanding of other pardigms is very minimal.

I posed a question in the “New to FreeNAS” forum regarding a GUI interface and whether it could be used to configure and manage the NAS system. Most respondents assured me that that was possible.

As I configure a potential iX system one of the configuration questions is Read cache and another is Write cache.

Anyone care to point to some education resource or provide opinions as to what those options will actually provide – performance or ??.

The next questions gets to system redundancy. Someday the hardware will fall over and fail.
Two events need to occur ---
  • Reasonable diagnosis of the circumstance and isolation of the issue
  • Replacement of the system or some component (memory) to restore the system to operations.

Does iX systems have folks available that can help identify this failure after the warranty period?
Does iX systems have a rapid response approach to system restoration cross ship with cc, repair of failing system eventually, other?