CIFS traversal very slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

monarchdodra

Explorer
My samba speeds are not actually slow, I can transfer large files at around 70-80 MB/s. What troubles me is that I have a few programs that try to discover all of the files in my share (windirstat, freefilesync, amongst others), and the performance there is SLOW: They discover files at a rate of 200 Files/second, tops. Also, when copying lots of small files to the share, it takes a LOT of time: 10 Files per seconds, no more. I'm 90% sure this is not a ZFS issue, as I have gotten good performance locally. Has anybody else had these kind of issues? I think it is the CIFS layer that is making things slower, but I wouldn't know how to speed it up/configure it? Any thoughts on how to tweak this? Thanks for all/any help.

FYI: I'm using: ASUS E35M1-I (AMD E-350 Proc) FreeNas 8.2.0 Beta 2.

Most setings are left at default, except for "Large RW Support", and "Enable AIO" , because I was experiencing THIS problem.

louisk

Patron
Do you notice the same problem with 8.0.4?

Have you tested with any other system? I suspect that the *issue* will be present on all forms of network storage, with the possible exception of SSD. The tools you're trying to use are very intensive for IO, and doing IO over the network is the slowest way to do it.

ProtoSD

MVP
Well lets see if I can reply to this post this time....

@Louisk, I had this problem before and have seen some other complain of it also, but I don't have this problem anymore.

Monarchdodra,

I changed some auxillary settings as well as some system "tunables" and the problem went away. It's been awhile and I'm not sure which setting fixed it for me. I can post my CIFS auxillary settings below and you can try them and see if any of the help. If you figure out which one it is, let me know so I can update the FAQ. If none of them help, let me know also and I can post some of my tunables.

Code:
socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_KEEPALIVE SO_RCVBUF=2097152 SO_SNDBUF=2097152
read raw = yes
write raw = yes
max xmit = 65535
getwd cache = yes

monarchdodra

Explorer
Thanks for the feedback.

I think I may have experienced the same problem in 8.0.4, but I was too busy testing freenas' primary functionalities to do any real lower level testing. After tasting 8.2 though, I'm not going back to 8.0.4 :p

My box is currently experiencing technical difficulties, this is why I did not reply yet. I will definitely try out the auxiliary settings once my problems are worked out. Could take a week though, but I'll come back to report.

djlax152

Dabbler
My samba speeds are not actually slow, I can transfer large files at around 70-80 MB/s. What troubles me is that I have a few programs that try to discover all of the files in my share (windirstat, freefilesync, amongst others), and the performance there is SLOW: They discover files at a rate of 200 Files/second, tops. Also, when copying lots of small files to the share, it takes a LOT of time: 10 Files per seconds, no more. I'm 90% sure this is not a ZFS issue, as I have gotten good performance locally. Has anybody else had these kind of issues? I think it is the CIFS layer that is making things slower, but I wouldn't know how to speed it up/configure it? Any thoughts on how to tweak this? Thanks for all/any help.

FYI: I'm using: ASUS E35M1-I (AMD E-350 Proc) FreeNas 8.2.0 Beta 2.

Most setings are left at default, except for "Large RW Support", and "Enable AIO" , because I was experiencing THIS problem.

I have a similar issue where the performance is very slow through my CIFS shares. I can get a transfer rate copying to my Freenas from a Win7 Machine of about 40MB\Sec but it gradually goes down to sometimes even 8 or 9 Mb\Sec depending on how large the transfer is. Also browsing through my directories i get a lot of Pauses and Lag. Especially when the directory contains a lot of files or folders. I have a Zotac MM880G-ITX with somewhat similar specs. just curious how much RAM do you have in your system? I myself have 8GB and I still have this issue, I am thinking about adding a SSD Drive as a Cache for the storage pool to see if that helps.

zyo

Dabbler
Yes I have had the same problem.
Listing a folder with 260 folders inside will take a few seconds, AND it is blocking other SAMBA transers.

regen

Cadet
protosd,

these settings took me from less than 1mb to 5+. THANK YOU!

While this is better, it is still not ideal. will increasing any of these values further improve transfer speeds?

entire network wired gigabit. took WHS and converted to freenas, was transferring bn 80/90mb/s w WHS and same client using now

any help would be greatly appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.