CIFS Share Permissions Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAKLOGIC

Cadet
Hi guys,

I am relatively new to FreeNAS. I set one up for a customer of mine back in october of last year (2014) that booted off of a usb stick. The reason that I decided to try FreeNAS is that the customer had grown to the point that they had more than the allowed number of computers trying to pull from a non-server windows share. Everything was working fine until the stick died a few days ago and, of course, I forgot to make a backup stick with all of the configuration. So I set up a new instance of FreeNAS 9.3 and re-setup the unauthenticated CIFS share. The customer has 2 locations and thousands of art files need to be moved from one location to the other each day. I came up with the idea to facilitate this through dropbox. I have an app that I made in MS Access that watches the dropbox folder and moves any files it detects to the FreeNAS CIFS share which is being used as a storage repository for all of the files.

Now here is my issue. Sometimes, the files that are being sent through dropbox already exist in the FreeNAS share. The MS Access app that I made handles this by just replacing them. (Like the windows dialog that asks if you want to replace, rename, or not move the file.) I can move a file manually from dropbox to the FreeNAS share and it will let me overwrite (replace) it, but if the MS Access app comes across a file that already exists in the destination, it will crash with a "permission denied" error. I have tried it on multiple computers and it has the same result: I can overwrite (replace) files manually, but the MS Access app will fail if it comes to a file that already exists in the destination. This is in a non-server (No Active Directory) shop with all windows computers.

I have been googling and looking through forums for the last few days to try and find what I did wrong this time that I didn't do wrong last time (since it worked flawlessly for the last 10 months) and I have hit a dead end and a peak level of frustration.

Anyone that could help would be most appreciated. I would even be willing to pay for someone to consult me on this to get it running. I love FreeNAS and if I can learn more about it, it would only benefit me.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for reading.

-Jeff

JAKLOGIC

Cadet
I think I found the problem, but I dont really like the solution.

I set up a FreeNAS 9.3 box at my home and was able to do everything without a problem. What I noticed right away was in the window's security tab. The owner of the share was listed as the guest user account I created in FreeNAS that everyone connects to the share with. On the customers setup that is giving me problems, however, the owner is listed as an unknown user.

I believe this problem is because I had to import the volume back into FreeNAS rather than making a new one. I was hoping to avoid having to repopulate the 90,000+ files that exist on the share, but since the test setup I made works fine, I guess that is what I have to do. The pain is trying to find a time to do this when the customer isnt accessing the files.

If anyone knows a way to reset all of the permissions on the volume instead of having to migrate the data off and recreating the volume from scratch, I would very much appreciate it.

-Jeff

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Just click on the dataset in the web GUI and click the permissions button, change permissions and wait

Status
Not open for further replies.