Can't get write access to SMB share on new pool.

Geoff

Dabbler
Truenas 13.1

Added two new hds. (Well, new secondhand).

Created a pool, with a mirror using the second drive (both identical)

created smb share. added (username) with pw xyz to ACL.

Try to login from windows 10.

Allows browse to the share, nothing in it yet, just the base file system.
map network drive using the credentials just created.

Try and create (anything). "You need permission to do this".

Who from? Root? Tried to login as root, says password is wrong (yes, tick 'Allow root to authenticate via SMB' first.

Drive is there, can do nothing with. I'm really starting to hate Linux based SMB.

Any help appreciated. I've redone the whole pool/share 3 times from scratch. No change. Previous shares are accessible via the user/pass previously assigned.

LLFormat or something first? (were in an older Freenas previously). Seems to be 'owned' by root (no surprises there).

TIA

Geoff

LarsR

Guru
Did you create an Dataset on the new pool and edited the permissions?
Because it sounds like you tried to share out the root Dataset which is not possible because it is always owned by root and root can no longer be used to access smb shares.
Try creating a new Dataset on the pool, edit the permissions so your user can access it and you should be good.

Geoff

Dabbler
You are correct sir. I originally set this up on the last FreeNas version which had root access and that was the only user I needed or had. So I created the dataset and its working. Thanks for your help. There's no outside access to the NAS, so it was never an issue, it's a home lan.