Can't change permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

John M. Długosz

Contributor
My initial attempt, following the instructions in the PDF manual and Wiki, setting up a volume, a dataset, two users, and a CIFS share, did not work. Windows could see the share existed but could not access it.

I started following the “Permissions Set-up for Dummies” which is reposted in this section. I changed the characteristics of the Users to match his instructions, and when I got to this step:

I next went back to the “Storage” tab to configure my permissions. I clicked the “Change Permissions” tab for my dataset and selected the A’s (administrator’s) user name for Owner (user) and “View-Only” for Owner (group). For the volume I clicked the "Change Permissions" tab and selected "noowner" and "nogroup." I then checked the boxes in the volume and the dataset “read, write, and execute” for “owner,” “read and execute” for “group,” and “read and execute” for “other.” I left the remaining configuration boxes unchecked and selected “Windows” for the ACL setting (as all users would be accessing the FreeNAS server via Windows computers). I left the “Set Permissions Recursively” box unchecked (I implemented this feature in another way in my Windows Sharing setting--see next paragraph) and clicked the “Change” button. I double-checked my configuration work after I set permissions.​

I find that although it says "mount changed successfully", when I bring up the Change Permissions box again, it still shows "root"/"wheel". The changes don't take place.

What's going on?

John M. Długosz

Contributor
More info: The console log shows this when I do the operation:
[PRE]Oct 8 16:33:49 freenas notifier: Usage: /usr/local/www/freenasUI/tools/winacl.sh [options] ...
Oct 8 16:33:49 freenas notifier: Where option is:
Oct 8 16:33:49 freenas notifier: -o
Oct 8 16:33:49 freenas notifier: -g
Oct 8 16:33:49 freenas notifier: -p
Oct 8 16:33:49 freenas notifier: -f
Oct 8 16:33:49 freenas notifier: -d
Oct 8 16:33:49 freenas notifier: -r
Oct 8 16:33:49 freenas notifier: -v
Oct 8 16:33:49 freenas manage.py: [common.pipesubr:57] Popen()ing: /usr/local/bin/warden list -v
Oct 8 16:33:49 freenas last message repeated 2 times[/PRE]

Please someone help! I'm stuck and can't proceed with my project if I can't successfully reach the NAS data from other computers!

Whattteva

Wizard
I would help you, but I've never used the Windows ACL function.

John M. Długosz

Contributor
Addendum: As noted on other threads, setting ACL to Windows causes nothing in the dialog box to be applied and the old settings remain. I've filed a bug report, and have proceeded using Unix ACL's.

Status
Not open for further replies.