Cannot create volume on new harddrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoMs

Cadet
Greetings!

I've finally gotten around to build myself a Freenas server, and I am having some issues getting my disk to run.
The disk is a new (never used) 2TB Western Digital drive. First thing I did was setting it into the box running Freenas, so it has not been compromised by other systems.
The system is running on an Asus AT5IONT-I with an Intel Atom D225 processor and 4GB of ram. Freenas is version 9.1.1.

It lists in View Disks, but when I try to use the ZFS Volume Manager or UFS Volume Manager it only returns "Error: Unable to GPT format the disk "ada1"".

I've also tried wiping the harddrive, but this only returns "Error: Failed to wipe ada1: dd: /dev/ada1: Input/output error 1+0 records in 0+0 records out 0 bytes transferred in 0.887415 secs (0 bytes/sec)".

Any tips on how I should continue to solve this issue?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Try DBAN to see what happens . Could be a bad drive...

JoMs

Cadet
Running DBAN now on standard settings. Insane estimated runtime of ~22 hours though. Is this normal?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Probably not, my guess would be something is dodgy, enough for Linux (DBAN) to "work" but for FreeNAS to hate it.

Are you on a quick one pass drive zeroing? Picking one of the thorough options might cause it to take Forever.

gpsguy

You should have run the first option "Quick Erase".

JoMs

Cadet
Now I've run DBAN, but I still cannot add the drive.

I tried adding a volume from a flashdrive just for fun, and that turned out to work great. So it seems it might be something wrong with the disk.

Are there any preferences to what kind of disks that's better suited for Freenas?

EDIT: I tried the disk in Windows, where it worked just fine.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
sounds like maybe an incompatible controller...?

JoMs

Cadet
Might be. Maybe I'll try running it through my RAID-controller tonight.
If that works, it'd be intereseting to know if there's any preferences to motherboards.

JoMs

Cadet
Seems like it worked through the RAID-controller. Excited to see how the other disks are gonna behave.

Status
Not open for further replies.