Can I use freeNAS with Dell Poweredge SC400

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunny

Cadet
I have installed freeNAS on USB and it works great. But Now I have few questions with my server.
The configuration is below I think
Processor support Pentium 4 2.26GHz or higher (533FSB or 800FSB)
Celeron 2.0GHz or higher (400FSB)
Chipset Intel® 875P
RAM type ECC DDR-333 SDRAM or ECC DDR-400 SDRAM
Ram min/max 128MB-4GB
Disk IDE 40, 80, 120GB
SATA 120, 250GB
SCSI 36, 73GB
Number of hard disk 2x1.0”: Non-hot swap
drive bays
Number of external 1x3.5”: Floppy
drive bays 2x5.25” for CD-ROM, DVD, tape backup
Availability ECC memory
Server Management OS based monitoring
Drive controller Embedded 2xATA100
Opt. SCSI
I/O 3x32-bit/33MHz 5v
Opt. RAID Opt. hardware CERC IDE RAID
Opt. software Promise SATA RAID
LOM 1x Gigabit
Chassis Mini-tower

What I want to do is RAID 5 on this server . What do I need to do? Do I need a RAID controller Card, I have upgraded the memory to 4GB.
Other Important feature I would like to configure is mirrored boot, HOT Spare, IPMI.
Question is Is this server good or I need to buy a new one? If I can use this server then how can get all the features with minimal cost? Ofcourse I have 3TB 3 drives which I would Like to use.

Thanks for your help.
Sunny

warri

Guru
First you have to decide which file system to use. For ZFS only 4GB of RAM is rather tight and not recommended.
This leaves you with UFS, which afaik supports a software RAID5. For this setup you don't need a RAID controller.
But I'm not sure if UFS software RAIDs actually support hot spares.

If you want to go with a hardware RAID you need a controller.

Sunny

Cadet
I can increase the memory to 8 GB Memory which is not a problem. I need to transfer large files, music and subsonic media player. So I guess need to use ZFS. what is the cheapest card available for RAID. Just to let you know I have another NAS - Thecus which works fine but after buying that I was reading about FreeNAS and got really interested. Now I am thinking if I can setup FreeNAS as primary and then Thecus NAS as backup of FreeNAS that way I can play around and learn new things as I go.
Thanks for your quick response.

Sunny

Cadet
Also very new to Linux so lot of learning curve on tuning kernel , etc but I think its a good start. Even I was hoping I can put owncloud.

warri

Guru
Are you sure about the RAM? Because you said earlier "Ram min/max 128MB-4GB".
If you go for ZFS, get 1 GB RAM per TB disk space. You do not need a RAID card, since ZFS uses software raid (called RaidZ1, RaidZ2 or RaidZ3) . Only if you don't have enough SATA ports, you will need to get an adapter card, for example this one: http://forums.freenas.org/threads/confused-about-that-lsi-card-join-the-crowd.11901/

You generally don't need to tune or recompile the kernel in FreeNAS, it's all pretty well set up from the beginning. Now there is even an owncloud plugin available.

Status
Not open for further replies.