Can I use different size HD for RAID?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nastar

Cadet
[Edit] Sorry, I forgot to change the title before submitting as I changed my question while writing this post. And I can't seem to find a way to change the title or delete the post. Anyways, the title should be, Can I use different size HD for RAID?

Hi,

I'm interested in installing FreeNAS on a spare computer I have with 1 SSD and 1 TB HD, 8 GB ram.

I'm thinking of putting the OS on the SSD and just using the HD as the NAS b/c I have 2 other computers in the house and I want one central location for my files.

I have an actual d-link NAS which I want to sell and take the 1 HD out and use it in conjunction my 1 TB drive. It's 1.5 TB.

Two Questions:

1. Can I use FreeNAS for RAID even though the HD sizes are different?
2. Right now, this computer is connected to my entertainment system (TV and receiver). I also use it as an alternative to Roku or WD Live. Once FreeNAS is installed, can I browse the net using FreeNAS.

Thanks.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I wrote that guide that ProtoSD kindly linked. Additionally, you should be trying to answer your own questions like this:

1. What file formats and sharing formats can Roku use? Which sharing formats can FreeNAS use? If they both use the same, then you can be reasonably sure that it will work.

2. Why does everyone say I should use the same size hard drives in a RAID? How does a RAID work, and why would different sizes be bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.