Bug? Or me? Intial setup on SCSI drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MAiN_PRoToCoL

Hey there.

Got an old poweredge 2300. Dual Pentium III 550, 1.5 GB of RAM, using onboard adaptec SCSI 2 ultra controller, connected to a 1x6 backplane, intel gig NIC. A beast of a machine :p !

But booting up lastest freeNAS CD, the initial setup doesn't pick up my 4, scsi ultra 2, 18 GB hard drives. I get looped around when hitting install.

But the same CD, hardware, and initial setup would pick up a scsi 320 146 GB drive when I pop one in. Even stranger, if I install freeNAS on the 146GB, after setup it would show me my 18gb drives.

What gives? is it me? a bug? and thanks!

M

MAiN_PRoToCoL

lol don't hate.

Once it was installed on the 146GB, it was working real fine. GUI/web server was aight. activated my cifs and this n that. not bad.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Dual Pentium III? I hope you weren't planning on doing anything remotely useful.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you don't meet the minimum requirements per the hardware requirements section of the FreeNAS manual you can expect unexplained behavioral problems. Please see the manual and upgrade your system.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Your system doesn't even come close to meeting the minimum hardware specs. I've had one of those, and it is a beast, but it should be relegated to something much less memory-intensive than a FreeNAS installation. FreeNAS is also designed to boot from a ~ 2 GB flash device--by installing on a spinning disk, you've made that disk unusable for storage.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Your system doesn't even come close to meeting the minimum hardware specs. I've had one of those, and it is a beast, but it should be relegated to something much less memory-intensive than a FreeNAS installation. FreeNAS is also designed to boot from a ~ 2 GB flash device--by installing on a spinning disk, you've made that disk unusable for storage.

I'm sorry, but these days a Pentium III-based system cannot be called a beast. I doubt it's useful for anything other than "Let's see if we can get this to run..." projects. I'd bet that my phone is faster than two Pentium IIIs, especially at 550MHz.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I was thinking of "beast" more in terms of size, weight, and noise. You're right--in terms of computing power, it's a decade or so out of date.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I was thinking of "beast" more in terms of size, weight, and noise. You're right--in terms of computing power, it's a decade or so out of date.

That I can imagine...

M

MAiN_PRoToCoL

Gosh, a lot of system requirement preachers in here that don't have a real clue about the FreeNas' or FreeBSD's requirements lollol. :rolleyes:

I have some new findings and experiments to do. I'll be back and report on them. More and more is seeming like a bug.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You don't get it do you? If you have less than 8GB of RAM FreeNAS behaves very erratically. People have been unable to create pools, unable to access the WebGUI, had random kernel panics, etc.

So no, YOU don't know FreeNAS's requirements. I do however know the requirements... because I wrote them!

I'm also locking this thread as there is nothing further to be gained from this thread. The point has been made and we don't need more discussion on a topic that is covered daily.

Status
Not open for further replies.