Best Recommendations for FreeNAS with Apple Xserve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Fellow Members,
My name is Justin and I am somewhat new to FreeNAS

I was wondering if anybody could tell me the best way to go about my storage needs.
I am currently using a drobo and it seems too slow for my liking.

I have a rather big media collection and need some serious storage to keep it up and running, In my media closet i have a 2009 Xserve and what i am curious about is what you fellow members think would be the best implementation of FreeNAS for me to serve up content to my house.

My idea is to build a system (recommendation on parts is needed) that can house about 8 x2TB drives in a some sort of raid(need recommendation on which raid would be best) install a 2 or 4 port gigE card on it and use link aggregation with iScsi and connect it to a similar card in the Xserve which would in theory give me a fast connection from there the media will be streamed out by the xserve

but what i really need help with is which raid would be best for a storage array that will be receiving backups and sending out content

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi JustinOReilly,

You should be just fine using raidz2 for an 8 drive server.

A couple of questions:

What are you streaming to? You might want to check and see if any of the default plug-ins (for 8.2) or 8.0.4-MULTIMEDIA will work for you. With any luck you might be able to simplify things and stream directly from FreeNAS. Either way, unless you are streaming a *ton* of data a single gig-e connection should be just fine between the Xserver & the filer.

I can throw together a parts list for an 8 drive system that I would want to use if you like.

-Will

Hi JustinOReilly,

You should be just fine using raidz2 for an 8 drive server.

A couple of questions:

What are you streaming to? You might want to check and see if any of the default plug-ins (for 8.2) or 8.0.4-MULTIMEDIA will work for you. With any luck you might be able to simplify things and stream directly from FreeNAS. Either way, unless you are streaming a *ton* of data a single gig-e connection should be just fine between the Xserver & the filer.

I can throw together a parts list for an 8 drive system that I would want to use if you like.

-Will

Will,
Thanks for the reply.

I use a mixture of Plex and Air Media Server since they have the ability to transcode very high quality movies with the hardware of the XServe.
On average there is usually 2 systems in the house doing backups at a time plus about 2 connections to Plex and a few connections streaming the music archive.

that would be my thinking to have 2 ports bonded together,
and id love your suggestion for a machine I have no idea about mother boards but i know i need a case for many drives a gig-ethernet card at least 6gb of ram if not more.

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi JustinOReilly,

Ok, There are 1000's of different ways to answer your "question", but here's an example of the sort of thing you could put together. I should disclose a few things.....I'm a bit of a hardware snob, I don't like most of the 3rd party chipset makers like Marvell or Realtek. Most every part in this list I have in use somewhere in my systems so there is also a bit of bias there, but then there is also some experience. I'll throw in a few notes with my thoughts after each item as appropriate.

You can get Just about everything in the list from Newegg except for the cables.

Case: Fractal Design R3 - Might be the best ~$100 8-drive case you can get. Google around for some reviews. If you get one order a 3rd 120mm (I like Yate Loons) fan & 2 3 pin extension cables, move the "back" fan to the front, but the 3rd fan on the back of the case. Stock fans are very quiet, ideally your 3rd will move a bit more air. A grill is nice for the back fan

PSU: I like Antec, Corsair and SeaSonic. Personally I think Seasonic makes the best PSU's available. You don't need a monster 850 watt beast for this project (I personally run a 500W)....the biggest problem you have is dealing with the ~16amps of startup current when you power on the systems & the drives spin up. Once the system is up you power demands will drop significantly.

Read this: http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?6273-PSU-sizing-for-home-file-server&highlight=psu+sizing <-- 4th post

Motherboard: I'm a huge fan of the SuperMicro socket 1155 boards.. They have a bunch of different models that vary on chipset (Cougar Point 202 or 204) NIC's ( 2 dedicated discrete Intel vs. 1 dedicated, 1 chipset, or 4 discrete Intel ports) and whether they support IPMI (remote console). Here's the SuperMicro model list:

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon3000/#1155

Personally I got the X9SCL+-F with 2 discrete Intel NICs & IPMI....cost me $180. If you think about it that's not so bad when you consider you might find that you need a couple of Intel "CT" NICs if the "other guy's" Realteks give you enough trouble.

CPU: I went with an Intel i3 2100.....yes, the baby i3. What's cool about that chip is that it turns into a "baby XEON" if you pair it with one of the above SuperMicro boards. It doesn't have all the specialized features of a proper Xeon, but it does support ECC RAM & it has plenty of grunt & a high clock speed for better CIFS performance. Got mine at MicroCenter where they list for $90.00 right now.

RAM: The SuperMicro boards do require Unbuffered ECC DDR3. 8GB sticks will run you ~$100 each right now or you can score 4 4GB ECC DIMM sticks for about $125. Check the SuperMicro approved memory list for the module part numbers you need & then look then look them up on Google shopping. I personally use 4 4GB Kingston KVR sticks that cost me $130 at the time.

Controller: I really like the IBM M1015 LSI 2008 chipset controller. Google around for "m1015" and you will find sever supply shops that deal in 'New old stock" selling them for around $75.00. ServeTheHome has a great 4 page writeup on the card including how to flash it into being a truly "dumb: HBA card <---this is exactly what ZFS wants. You can do without the M1015 card & use the onboard SATA ports plus a cheap PCI-e 2 port controller but you will wind up with a rat's nest of SATA cables you will need to route up to the drives. Personally I would do the M1015 if for no other reason than the special cables you need make for a very clean install.

Cables & Misc.: Go to "monoprice.com"

and search for SFF-8087 cables....I used the .75M cables and they were just about the perfect length to reach the drives. Also look for 2 "Molex to 4 SATA" power cables. Get a pair of those so you only need to get 2 Molex over to the drives, then you can break the power out to the drives with these.

Drives: Drives are a bit of a pain because everybody has had a drive die on them which makes that brand crap to them. Personally I liked the Samsungs, but since Seagate bought them out they seem to have cut my warranty down to 1 year so no more Sammies for me.

Please ask back if you have any questions,

-Will

paleoN

Wizard
Controller: I really like the IBM M1015 LSI 2008 chipset controller. Google around for "m1015" and you will find sever supply shops that deal in 'New old stock" selling them for around $75.00.
ServerSupply is selling it as NEW BULK though they have it at $87.00 right now. I was actually looking at the BR10i on there. I guess I need keep looking at pricing. Plus, I now have to decide between the two! :p

Drives: Drives are a bit of a pain because everybody has had a drive die on them which makes that brand crap to them. Personally I liked the Samsungs, but since Seagate bought them out they seem to have cut my warranty down to 1 year so no more Sammies for me.
IMO, all brands are equally as bad. Seagate warranties, they used to sell barracudas with a 5 year, but now it's down to 2 years.

JustinOReilly do you already have these 8 2TB drives? If not I would recommend 6 3TB drives in raidz2 which gives you the same space, if you need that much, and an optimal zpool configuration to boot.

survive

Behold the Wumpus
HI paleoN,

I actually have a BR10i. It's a generation before the M1015 so it's based on the LSI 1068 chipset which means it's PCI-e 1.0 and can support up to a 2TB drive. The M1015 is LSI 2008 based which means PCI-e 2.0 support and can do 2TB+ drive sizes. I got my BR10i for about $45.00 and a week later the M1015 prices crashed......

Just make sure the card comes with a bracket!

-Will

Status
Not open for further replies.