Best backup strategy

thatflashcat

Explorer
I'm trying to decide between backing up internally or over the network. Cloud backups are out of the question due to low upload speed (250 Mbps down/6 Mbps up). The former would either require hotswap or turning the machine off to swap disks. The network option would be convenient as it is easiest to connect a drive in an external bay to my desktop, perform the replication, and be on my way.
  • Can I still perform block level replication over the network (to a windows machine, so I'm assuming not)
  • Is file level replication adequate? this backup is unlikely to ever be used.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Why not locally over a USB3 connection to the FreeNAS box? A USB3 enclosure isn't expensive these days, and you could get backup disks to swap in and out of the enclosure.

thatflashcat

Explorer
Why not locally over a USB3 connection to the FreeNAS box? A USB3 enclosure isn't expensive these days, and you could get backup disks to swap in and out of the enclosure.

So you're suggesting I connect the drive using a USB3 enclosure and mount it from there? Can I just unplug it at any time without the system complaining?

kiriak

Contributor
if you export it nobody will complain :tongue:

just kidding,

I'm not an expert but did experimenting for a while with snapshot replication to a USB drive that was kept offline and it worked quite well.
But I'd say again, I'm just a noob in this.