Benefit of CPU upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently have a Supermicro X8 board installed with x2 E5530's@ 2.40Ghz, I have x2 spare X5570's @ 2.93Ghz , I do a lot of transcoding via plex, would the slightly higher clock speed benefit me at all?

Or would I benefit going to a X9 board and picking up x2 E3 or E5 CPU's?

danb35

Hall of Famer
AFAIK, there are no E3 boards with two sockets; you'd need to go for an E5 board if you wanted two chips. Other than that, I don't know--are you noticing your system to be CPU-bound?

E5 it is :) , I'm not too sure, when transcoding more then 6-8 streams I notice some slowness and when transcoding + converting media I see some slowness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
AFAIK, there are no E3 boards with two sockets; you'd need to go for an E5 board if you wanted two chips. Other than that, I don't know--are you noticing your system to be CPU-bound?
Nope.

Multiple sockets require processors that have the Quick Path Interconnect. Only Xeon E5 2xxx and above have that, these days. The last "lower end" models to have one were the LGA1136 processors, which used it to communicate with the northbridge (which has since been integrated into the CPU die, starting with Sandy Bridge).

jgreco

Resident Grinch
E5-2670s are dirt cheap right now.

Also note that the E5-2670 is an 8 core processor. You would want a Supermicro X9 board for it, NOT an X10. So, you can use a single socket X9SRL for it and still wind up with an 8 core powerhouse at a reasonable price.

Fritzolio

Explorer
E5 MB's aren't cheap. I have a couple of E5-2670's waiting for a deal to come along. Until then, they're hibernating.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
E5 MB's aren't cheap. I have a couple of E5-2670's waiting for a deal to come along. Until then, they're hibernating.

Fair enough, but then look at the retail cost on those CPU's and think "holy crap."

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
So, you can use a single socket X9SRL for it and still wind up with an 8 core powerhouse at a reasonable price.

$252.99 is not cheap? It sure isn't expensive as far as modern motherboard prices go. I'd jump on it ifin I were building something right now.

With these E5-2670's going for next to nothing and the price of DDR3 ECC UDIMM's where they are you can build a LOT of system for a little money with this combination.

Unless you're looking for a dual CPU motherboard. Which, judging from his current rig, is probably what he's aiming for.

Status
Not open for further replies.