Being able to customize pictures of pools on dashboard would be nice.

Lighthouse

Dabbler
As now, there are a lot of wasted space on how Dashboard is being shown, including those same naked HDD images. For example my current FreeNAS setup:

2020-06-01 11_21_18-.png

Well, I see that 7 images of HDDs (despite the fact that only 3 pools are composed of HDDs) and pool names (except some names have been cut off) and that's it. Other than 'torrents' being offline and igb0 being not used, it is quite hard to grasp what's going on with my FreeNAS machine.

Initially I wanted to ask to put an image of SSD for the pools that are composed of SSD (and FreeNAS has ability to tell whether the disks are HDD/SSD), but then it would be so much better if I can upload custom pictures so that I can immediately identify each dashboard card quickly.

Here is my quick terrible MS paint mockup.

2020-06-01 11_21_18-.png

There is place for GUI and CLI, and I believe the power of GUI is really all about visualization. I also dislike the fact that the percentage of pool being filled is displayed as numbers instead of graphs. I think at least NIC speed and the percentage of disk filled should be displayed as circular graph just like CPU & RAM shows.

Thank you for the consideration.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
You could create a suggestion ticket an see how many people support the idea.

I agree that the way pools are presented in the main dashboard is ugly: a poorly cropped image of part of a drive's platter with labels that cut off.

I'll support the idea if I see it on the Jira Tracker, but should mention that another alternative would be a selection of included, non-copyrighted icons, in the same way one would select emojis from a list.

Such icons to be included, as examples: generic drive, gamepad, media player, folder filled with documents, database symbol, and such...

These could even be applied to each different dataset.

Last edited: