Backup the iScsi extent file

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnFLi

Contributor
Is there any 'magic' that I can do to ensure the health of my iscsi extent file? The reason I ask is because I have an iScsi share (so that my apple machine can have spotlight work), and after an update (either freenas or the apple machine not sure which) upon reboot, my apple couldn't connect to the iscsi share anymore. Assuming it was apples issue, I rebuilt the apple machine--but it still couldnt connect. After a bit of going nuts trying to figure out why apple sucks, I noticed my extent file was missing. I recreated it, and 'poof' I can connect again. of course all the data was gone.
I tested that if I rename the extent file - yes, i cannt connect again. but then I renamed it back to what it was, and I can reconnect and the data was still there.

My extent file is a little large--- 72TB, so I just can't copy it over the network on a daily basis.

So like I said, before i started to ramble, is there a way to backup the extent file?

D

dlavigne

That sounds rather unusual. Please post the output of zpool list. Before the rename test, were you renaming it before?

JohnFLi

Contributor
Code:
zpool list

upload_2017-4-18_11-2-47.png
iScsi is the item name 'Photo'

Code:
The extent file :

Code:
 Before the rename test, were you renaming it before?   -----   nope, i had not touched it since I first created it

rs225

Guru
If the extent is in a dataset by itself, then you could backup/replicate that dataset with zfs send, and it would be approximately the size of the actual data. Additional snapshots with an incremental zfs send would then send only the changed actual data.

JohnFLi

Contributor
How would I go about doing that???

I wouldn't even be messing with iScsi at all if I could get Apple Spotlight to work with an AFS share. I know there are plenty of posts about getting spotlight to work on a network share, but I never was able to get any of them to work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.