Back ground Rsync over night with crontab

JesseJ80

Cadet
I have just recently setup my first TruNAS server, I'll give Hardware and setup details at the bottom.

I need to move data from an old NAS (Dlink DIR-323) to the new TrueNAS server, there is no direct way to do this from the UI so from the webshell I mounted the 2 SMB1 volumes into new directories on TrueNAS, and wrote a script to do the transfer with rsync and to email me each night with a status report and a final email when complete, then tried to add a cron task to do the transfer over night. I can manually start the script and it will transfer files just fine, but it doesn't start automatically at the appointed time. The reason I am trying to do it this way is that if I use another computer to tranfer the files, it cuts the already abysmal speed in half bringing it on a Windows machine, then back out to the TrunNAS server. The Dlink DNS-323 was amazing when it came out in 2006, and has served me faithfully for 18 years now, but its abysmally slow by todays standards.

That's the first issue. The second being that last night and today, having given up on scheduling the task, I tried to start the job manually and let it run, but as soon as the user session on the webui goes to sleep and logs out, it stops the transfer, even if the shell session is detached.

It seems to me that some basic functionality is missing that I cant really understand being missed this long.

1. An obvious way to pull files from another location that isn't limited to "module"/"SSH" with rsync capable devices and locations. For Example: shared files/folders on windows/mac, older SMB1 shares.

2. Ability to add cron tasks in the webui that allow the use of hyphens (-) so that a task can run from a start time to and end time. For Example
Code:
0 23-7 * * * /path/to/file.sh

3. I should be able to control whether a session logs out or stays active, this should be a basic setting. Especially since this also has VM support, and could be used as a primary hypervisor for home labs and even small businesses.

Now that I have complained, what are the work arounds for these issues currently. How do I actually move the files without occupying another device and slowing down the transfer that will already take approximately 2.5 days? Am I missing something obvious?

Setup:

Server - Supermicro X9DRH based server: 2x E5-2690 v2, 256GB 1800Mhz RAM, 8 x 2.15GB 2.5" SAS HDD w/LSI 2208 Controller(dont bug me, I made it work)
Hypervisor - Proxmox
VMs - PFSense - Firewall, router, ad blocking for the whole house.
- Ubuntu Sever - Docker Lab and Game server
- TrueNAS - has each drive from the LSI 2208 passed through with SN.

Thanks in advance.