Are there any advantages / disadvantages of using child datasets of a parent dataset or separate individual datasets ?

sravi123

Cadet
Hello Everyone,

I am setting up a file server for our business which had different departments and sub-departments. I am trying to understand and choose how to design the folder structure. For example:
We have a department, Department A which has Teams A1, A2 and A3.

Option 1: Have a parent dataset for Department A, and create three child datasets for teams A1, A2 and A3.
Option 2: Have three different datasets for each of the teams A1, A2 and A3.

Both options seem to meet the objective of providing space and access to three different teams. Are there are any advantages / disadvantages of choosing one option over the other ?

Any input in this regard is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
If you want to do snapshots and replication you can define a single recursive task if you have a parent dataset. Makes configuration and maintenance simpler. Apart from that I don't see any difference.

QonoS

Explorer
Keep in mind that "zfs treats each dataset as a separate filesystem". So child datasets are not just "a folder" within the parent dataset, although it might seem like it on shell.

There can be problems with NFS for example.

A single dataset with a folder structure and proper permissions might be enough. Sometimes less is more. ;)

ChrisRJ

Wizard
I started my first FreeNAS with not too many datasets, but went to quite a few more with the new build in October 2020. The main reason was to have different intervals and execution times for replication snapshots. Plus I have finer control over whatever comes along in the future. The plan is to have this system running for 8+ years. So I rather spend some more time upfront with planning :smile: