Advice Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevef1

Cadet
Hi everyone, i'm wanting to use freenas as a storage option for my ESX servers (5.1) i wanted to only have a couple of virtual guests on the freenas box, kinda small scale high availability ( email server/intranet etc)

Does anyone use freenas like this?
Is it stable (im new to freenas)?

anyone have any extra advice on setup?

thanks

steve

Whattteva

Wizard
I don't understand why new people always skip the stickies in "FreeNAS 4 Noobs" section.
Have a look at this thread.
http://forums.freenas.org/threads/p...nas-in-production-as-a-virtual-machine.12484/

Hint: It's a forum section dedicated for people new to FreeNAS...
Of course, that thread wouldn't apply to you if you're not looking to virtualize the FreeNAS itself though.

Regardless of what you're trying to do, that forum section still has a lot of useful links for someone who is new to FreeNAS and you should give at least the first few stickies a visit.

stevef1

Cadet
Hmmm thanks for the link, i don't intend to make a virtual freenas box tho...
as i said i want to run it as a freenas box and have the esx guest images on the freenas box

ESX server------> connection of some kind----->to freenas

pretty simple just want help and support with a new product that I've never used!

Whattteva

Wizard
As I've said, if you're not looking to virtualize FreeNAS, then it doesn't apply to you.
However, I did say that forum section itself where the thread is located has a wealth of information that pertains to new users, such as yourself. So do check around at least the top stickied threads.

I don't think you would run to too many issues, but be aware that there will probably be performance degradation impact when you use it in that way.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
What is it you want to know?

Any nas appliance/device on your network can be used as datastore storage...
If a NAS product can present storage over NFS, or iscsi, it can be used as an esxi datastore.
Performance is attributed to a wide range of things. Network, disk speed, number of spindles, size of array, bus speed of your controller... The list continues.
If you have appropriate hardware for FreeNAS, then you shouldn't have any issues.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Status
Not open for further replies.