Advice on purchase: key uses ZoneMinder, Plex, Cloudsync

nikinp

Contributor
Dear Freenasers,
Thanks for contributing to such a passionate community.

I've had a proliant 54l 8gb ram for almost 10 years (running Plex, Cloud sync, OpenVPN, SFTP) and finally moved off a single disk (shock-horror) setup to mirror.
My next step is to use this setup as a remote backup to take replications from a new build.

The new server's main purpose is to run ZoneMinder (max 6-8 cameras) and Plex, Cloud sync, OpenVPN, SFTP

I've tested new ZoneMinder plugin on 11.3 Freenas together with 1.34.9 plugin and it works for even the beginner. However, I notice that on current server, the CPU 'Load' is well over 50% just with a single camera doing monitoring. I'm therefore concerned about what it will take to get to 6-8 camera setup and take on other tasks above.

I have rack which my switch sits in, so I'm thinking that I can go for a rack mounted server. So my question is what I need as a min spec to do the above setup which is also efficient to run in terms of power.

I do NOT intend to build, but to buy second hand / refurb - On eBay, there are various used / refurbished servers there at very reasonable costs: HP ProLiant DL360 and similar in each of the ranges, Dell Power-Edge R220, IBM x3650 and others in their respective ranges.

I'm therefore trying to get some answers to things like:
- Now many /type of processing: CPU/cores/threads???
- RAM type and amount
- and obvious pre-existing models that do the job
- and all at modest cost to run in terms of power

Of course, please shout if I am missing any obvious considerations. I have of course, only been a single disk mini server till now!
Thanks in advance!