Advice on Increasing System-Specific Performance

Chris Tobey

Contributor
Hi everyone,

I am looking to increase the performance of my system which has some decent specs, but is starting to not be able to keep up.

Setup:

• 12 x 20 TB Seagate Exos X20 SAS drives in a 6 x 2-drive mirror vdev configuration.
  • 2 x 1.6 TB Intel P5800X
  • LSI 9300-8i with SuperMicro SAS backplane
  • Dual Intel Xeon E5-2620 v3 @ 2.40 GHz
  • 24 x 16 GB DDR4 ECC RAM
  • 1 x 10 GE
ZFS Configuration:

• 6 vdevs in a 2-drive mirror (Seagate 20 TB HDDs)
  • 2 caches (Intel P5800X)
  • Current usage at 75%.
  • Compression: LZ4
  • Encryption: Off
  • Dedup: Off
  • Sync: Disabled
  • Enable Atime: Off
Workload:
  • About 100 servers accessing pool over NFS.
  • Each server has 1-20 git repos being cloned and compiled on the mounted NFS share at any given time.
  • Each git repo has thousands of very small source files (< 10 kB) and generates hundreds of very small (< 10 kB) to small (< 10 mB) files.
  • Disk usage largely varies due to the number of builds running at a given time, but storage is only growing a slow pace on average (maybe 100 GB per week?)
I recently changed the drive configuration from 2 vdevs in a 6-drive RAID-Z2 to the current 6 vdevs in a 2-drive mirror and was hoping that would increase the performance, but do not see much difference.
I do not believe I am network limited as the NIC is not reporting even 1 Gbit, let alone 10 Gbit.
I had hoped the caches would help with the performance, but I am not sure how to measure their effect.