Added driver for Adaptec SmartRAID 3154-16i but can't see storage from FreeNAS. How to mount?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kitoichi

Cadet
Thank you a lot for reading this thread. I want your knowledge.

This is the first time I use FreeNAS.

Motherboard:GYGABYTE H370M D3H
RAM 32GB
Drive1:NVMe SSD 256GB(Intel, FreeNAS was installed to this)
Drive2:SATA3 SSD 240GB(Intel,Windows10 was installed to this)
Adaptec SmartRAID 3154-16i + WesternDigital Red 4TB x 8 drives (RAID6)

Hardware was installed and RAID6 array was created from BIOS
Drivers for FresNAS(FreeBSD) and Windows was each installed.
From Windows10, I can see the RAID6 drive but can't see from FreeNAS

Can anyone give me some guidance to mount this RAID6 Drive to FREENAS?

Appreciate the help.

Attachments

• DSCF4739.jpg
    DSCF4739.jpg
    478.1 KB · Views: 484

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
First, you are not supposed to add any drivers to FreeNAS.
Second, when you reboot, the driver will probably be dumped out because FreeNAS loads an image every time it boots.
Third, that disk controller is a hardware RAID card and you should not use it with FreeNAS or ZFS at all. Not in any way.
Hardware was installed and RAID6 array was created from BIOS
This is not how FreeNAS is intended to be used. Don't do it.
Can anyone give me some guidance to mount this RAID6 Drive to FREENAS?
This is not how you are supposed to do this. Do not do this.

You need to read the guides and begin again. Start by saying what you are trying to accomplish here and we can give you some advice.

You will probably want to sell that hardware RAID controller as it is not the correct equipment to use with FreeNAS.

kitoichi

Cadet
Thank you very much for your quick reply and kindness.
I understand hardware RAID card is not favorable in FreeNAS.
Actually, after installing RAID card driver, I could not confirm that drivers was correctly installed.(maybe dumped out.)

But is it also impossible to use this RAID6 volume in other filesystem ext4, or NTFS in FreeNAS?

If no, I will change OS to another one like XigmaNAS or OpenMediaVault.

sretalla