Activate replicated zvol ? Help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

majerus

Contributor
I have a Bhyve Vm that is using a zvol. The zvol is configured to be snapshot every 5 minutes, then replicated to another zpool. I want to break the replication, then point the vm to run on the new zpool storage. When I edit the virtual machine, to use the new disk the vm will not start. I do not see any logs indicating why , nor know which logs I would look at besides /var/log/messages.

What I did to step replication.
Created snapshot every 5 minutes of /Deep/VirtualBaseDisks/VirtualMachine1
Created replication with from /Deep/VirtualBaseDisks/VirtualMachine1 to /SSDPool/VMS
Verified replication was good and see /VirtualBaseDisks/VirtualMachine1 under /SSDPool/VMS.

I shut off the virtual machine waited 10 minutes for replication to make sure everything was caught up.

Disabled Replication task
Disabled snapshot task
Edited virtual machine disk pointing it to /SSDPool/VMS/VirtualBaseDisks/Virtualmachine1

Tried to start and then the virtual machine shows just "stopped" (Once again not sure where to look for logs)

As for a troubleshooting step I did run the following below.
zfs set readonly=off /SSDPool/VMS/VirtualBaseDisks
zfs set readonly=off /SSDPool/VMS/VirtualBaseDisks/Virtualmachine1

majerus

Contributor
I also tried to delete the replication configuration thinking that might help. No dice...

majerus

Contributor
I finally got this working, in the process I trashed a zpool which kinda sucked. (thank god for veeam and working zfs replication)

First I manually took a snapshot of my zvol using the gui. Snapshot is named /Deep/VirtualBaseDisks/VirtualMachine1@manual-20180110

Code:
Vault# zfs list -t snapshot
NAME														  USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
Deep/VirtualBaseDisks/VirtualMachine1@manual-20180110	  0	  -  23.5G  -
Jail/jails/.warden-template-pluginjail-11.0-x64@clean		2.35M	  -   539M  -
SSD/VirtualMachine1/BaseSSD@manual-20180110			  118M	  -  16.7G  -

Then did ZFS Send

Code:
Vault# zfs send -R Deep/VirtualBaseDisks/VirtualMachine1@manual-20180110 |zfs receive  SSD/VirtualMachine1/BaseSSD

Once complete I then changed the device on the virtual machine to use the new disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.