Accidentally deleted extent, but ESX hosts still see the data... Can I recover the extent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaknell1011

Dabbler
I deleted a mountpoint inside my crashplan plugin and did not realize that when I did, I deleted my extent. Now my extent does not show up in FreeNAS, but the ESX hosts I have running off of the extent are still working? Is it still possible to recover my extent? HELP!

Here's a little more info. My extent (ext1) resided inside /mnt/Vol1/extent/.

I created a mount point inside /mnt/jails/crashplan_1/mnt/test/. Once this worked, I created another mount point: /mnt/jails/crashplan_1/mnt/extent/, and then I DELETED the /test/ folder. When I did this my extent (ext1 located in /mnt/Vol1/extent/) was also deleted.

I thought I was done for, and figured my ESX hosts which used the data inside this extent for VMs were probably all crashing and no longer functional. I have 3 ESX hosts using an ISCSI initiator to the FreeNAS, and the target is my extent ext1.

But to my surprise, I logged into my ESX hosts and they were functioning like nothing happened. I immediately started backing up everything I could and copying out my vmx and vmdk files before something changed.

I have my necessary data copied to another location, but I am still curious if it is possible to recover this extent. Does anyone know how I might be able to do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.