ZFS Write errors on new Drives

Hello,

I recently build a new NAS base don a dell r730xd with WD Red SA 500 NAS drives(https://www.westerndigital.com/products/internal-drives/wd-red-sata-2-5-ssd#WDS200T1R0A). which are supposedly built for NAS usage. (Also they weren't that cheap). However now after only a few days of having the server in use (not in production but testing and writing data to the pool) ZFS shows Write errors on almost all the drives. One was even flagged as Faulted. What could be the issue here?
see screenshot
1678691122658.png

After further inspection I saw that the errors are mixed. some write, read and checksum errors.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I would expect that you're seeing a lot of disk status errors in the output of dmesg

You should be seeing the confirmation of read/write and/or checksum errors there.

With such widespread issues across all disks, I suspect the backplane, cabling and/or disk controller(s).

If you would care to share the details of your disk controller(s) maybe we can get to some ideas.

Hello,

Thanks for the answer. The Server is a dell r730xd with the HBA330 https://www.dell.com/support/manual...cb2c46-07fb-4f69-b558-fa0a275d1d51&lang=en-us
So all drives are passed through to ZFS without any previous RIAD functionality. I have downgraded the firmware to one older version as I thought this might be causing issues. but now a day after there are again new errors (a lot less than before only on 2 errors on 2 drives).
Firmware Version of HBA controller is 16.17.00.05 (newest would be 16.17.01.00 which I had before and caused even more errors).

In Idrac all of the controllers are visible as healthy without issues. also I partly ran a memcheck (not the full one because it would have taken too long but it didn't run into any issues for the time I ran it )

I have other r730 with the same controller. and pfsense running which also uses ZFS as Boot drives and no issues there

Thanks

forget the part about pfsense. as its based on BSD not Linux it isn't the same ZFS build I would guess. so probably not relevant here.