X10DRH-C Build around this MB

Dave Hob

Contributor
Hi all

Planning to sell some of my existing servers and pick a new toy (newer).

I came across this board X10DRH-C , used and I can pick this up for about $280. Would like some feedback on how this might work for my need.

Need:
- SAMBA share for some video editing
- Plex 4k to 1 - 2 clients
- spin a few VMS - 4 - 5 for some home lab

For cpu considering - 2 x E5-2650V4

Memory - probably about 128 GB DDR4

Case - considering SilverStone Technology CS381B
* anyone has any experience with this case? saw some reviews on amazon that there can experience issues with hdd cooling.

The SAS Controller:
Broadcom 3108 SAS3 (12Gbps) controller; 2GB cache; HW RAID 0, 1, 5, 6, 10, 50, 60
? Can this be flashed to it mode? do I need to flash to it mode or does it have set up to run in HBA mode?

Do you guys think that this board is too much for this setup?

Thank you in advance.

Thats an E-ATX board, you are going to need a monster case to house it (I love the Fractal XL series). The case you have is for a micro board at maximum.

Ive never messed with one of these boards, but I do believe I've read that that chip will present the disks as JBOD but im not 100% on that. Better snoop around. The paper says 3208 supports 16 disks, but the board also has 10 SATA3 ports listed for the C612. With the size of disks these days 10 ports is likely enough for now no?

Im sure each and every one of us would love to own this rig as proposed. Too much? Too much soon becomes not enough.