6 minute read.Last Modified 2021-03-30 11:59 EDT
|Release Stage||Completed QA Cycles||Typical Use-case||Description|
|ALPHA||1||Testers||Not much field testing|
|BETA||2||Enthusiasts||Major Feature Complete, but expect some bugs|
|RC||3||Home Users||Suitable for non-critical deployments|
|RELEASE||4||General Use||Suitable for less complex deployments|
|U1||5||Business Use||Suitable for more complex deployments|
|U2+||6+||Mission Critical||Suitable for critical uptime deployments|
20 October 2020
iXsystems is pleased to announce the general availability of TrueNAS 12.0 RELEASE! This is the first production version of the unified FreeNAS and TrueNAS release that is renamed to TrueNAS CORE and TrueNAS Enterprise, respectively. Since the first 12.0 Release Candidate, an additional 30 final polishing bugs have been found and fixed in the full 12.0-RELEASE version. The first maintenance release of TrueNAS 12.0, U1, is anticipated in December.
The TrueNAS 12.0 release is a major new update to the TrueNAS family of storage products. TrueNAS CORE is the successor to FreeNAS, which is still fully open-source and offering the same functionality and more features than ever before. Included in version 12 are major changes to the ZFS filesystem, bringing all upcoming OpenZFS 2.0 (Formerly ZFS on Linux). Additionally, version 12 includes these notable changes and improvements:
- ZFS Native Crypto - Per-dataset encryption and support for encrypted replication to untrusted targets.
- 2 Factor Authentication - Allows using Applications such as “Google Authenticator” to provide an extra level of security before logging into the UI or SSH access.
- KMIP Support - TrueNAS Enterprise now adds the ability to interface with KMIP servers for the storage and retrieval of passwords and encryption keys.
- Performance Improvements - Virtually every area of the platform has been updated and includes some major performance improvements, including SMB, iSCSI, ZFS and more.
- API Keys - All of TrueNAS can be configured with TrueNAS API v2.0 and now supports API keys for remote access. The v1.0 API is no longer supported.
- Fusion Pools - Allows creating pools with all-flash vdevs that store metadata and small-block IO. This provides flash-like performance on all metadata operations, but with the cost effectiveness of spinning disk for storage blocks.
- VPN Support - Support for TrueNAS acting as both an OpenVPN Server and Client, depending on your VPN needs.
- TrueCommand Cloud Integration - TrueNAS 12.0 systems can be connected directly to a TrueCommand Cloud account for scaled monitoring and management of your TrueNAS systems - no additional hardware needed! For Early Access to TrueCommand Cloud, go to portal.ixsystems.com and create an iX account, then send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request Early Access to the TrueCommand Cloud Services. Be sure to include the email address that you used to create your iX Account.
The Docs Hub has step-by-step instructions for configuring TrueCommand Cloud.
These major changes are also paired with numerous other bug fixes and quality-of-life type improvements to the UI and APIs for users. We’ve also revamped our Documentation, focusing more content on how to accomplish specific tasks, reducing the learning curve and time normally spent on deploying TrueNAS in a variety of storage environments.
Here is the full list of fixes and changes in 12.0-RELEASE:
|NAS-107931||Selecting a certificate for LDAP||Middleware|
|NAS-107917||sysctl panic on debug kernel||OS|
|NAS-107872||build syslog-ng with debug symbols||OS|
|NAS-107851||Make dns_domain_name optional in idmap form||WebUI|
|NAS-107842||Failure to approve acme cert||Certificates|
|NAS-107840||Broken ACL editor shown after creating home share||WebUI|
|NAS-107837||Can't change security setting for NFS share||WebUI|
|NAS-107802||traceback in hactl along with flake8 fixes||Middleware|
|NAS-107736||reporting.realtime Event: Network rates wrong||Middleware|
|NAS-107617||FreeNAS 11.3 upgrade to TrueNAS 12.0RC1 does not migrate user passwords||Upgrades|
|NAS-107603||Replication that worked in 11.3-U4 and 12.0-Beta2 fails in 12.0-RC1||Replication|
|NAS-107587||SSH Keypair input validation issue Again||WebUI|
|NAS-107552||Timezone mismatch in reporiting graphs||Reporting|
|NAS-107545||CloudSync Dryrun isn't dry||Middleware|
|NAS-107529||Snapshot option missing for Zvol's in contextual menu on pools UI||Snapshot, WebUI|
|NAS-107526||Failed Error when clicking Expand Pool||Middleware|
|NAS-107502||NetBIOS Alias value is not saved after Server reboot||Services|
|NAS-107436||Elements in "Title Bar" no longer Clickable||WebUI|
|NAS-107401||Disable autocomplete for 2FA code on login page||WebUI|
|NAS-107400||Inconsistency if root pw is required for DL of encryption key||System|
|NAS-107348||high cpu usage by middleware...slow performance||Middleware|
|NAS-106680||Plex Media Server 126.96.36.19935||Documentation|
|NAS-106658||ZFS replication does not create datasets on target||Replication, Tasks|
|NAS-106043||Directory Services / LDAP UI has wrong labels||WebUI|
|NAS-105927||Replace all helptext Guide links||Documentation|
|NAS-105904||Fix broken link in New Pool Encryption help text||Documentation|
|NAS-105645||zfs-stats -a shows unknown oids and divide by 0||OS|
|NAS-105622||UI should update VM state if the VM shuts down||WebUI|
|NAS-105565||Unable to Access TN Scale UI||WebUI|
|NAS-105531||static usage of FreeNAS when upgrading zpool||WebUI|
|NAS-107151||Replication fails between legacy TrueNAS 9.10 systems and 12.0-BETA1 systems.||Due to numerous improvements in the replication engine and ZFS, FreeNAS/TrueNAS 9.10 systems (or earlier) can no longer replicate to or from TrueNAS 12.0. Update the legacy TrueNAS system to FreeNAS/TrueNAS 11.3 or newer.|
|NAS-106992||Persistent L2ARC is disabled by default due to performance impact when rebuilding with large amounts of data.||Reactivating persistent L2ARC can result in degraded UI and Middleware performance in specific situations where large amounts of data is loaded into L2ARC and a rebuild is triggered. To reactivate persistent L2ARC, log in to the TrueNAS Web Interface, go to System > Tunables, and add a new tunable with these values:|
|NAS-107951||2FA is missing from TrueNAS Enterprise||2-Factor authentication is receiving additional polish for TrueNAS Enterprise and is scheduled to be added in 12.0-U1.|
|TrueNAS "root" user account cannot be an SMB user.||This is an intentional change to improve software security and suitability for deployment in a variety of environments. Update the SMB configuration to use a different user account.|
|There are some BIOS compatibility issues when manually upgrading a TrueNAS X or M -Series system to 12.0.||Please contact iX Support when planning an upgrade to one of these systems.|
|NAS-108050||SNMP consumes 100% CPU and becomes unavailable.||If you are using SNMP, either disable SNMP in 12.0-RELEASE or upgrade when 12.0-U1 is released.|
|NAS-107694||Due to performance impacts with some drives, autotrim for storage pools is disabled by default.||If you need to reactivate autotrim for an existing TrueNAS pool, log in to the web interface, go to the Shell, and enter `zpool set autotrim=on |
|Contact Method||Contact Options|
|Telephone||Monday - Friday, 6:00AM to 6:00PM Pacific Standard Time:|
US-only toll-free: 1-855-473-7449 option 2
Local and international: 1-408-943-4100 option 2
|Telephone||After Hours (24x7 Gold Level Support only):|
US-only toll-free: 1-855-499-5131
International: 1-408-878-3140 (international calling
rates will apply)