Zpool mirror shows no errors, only mounts read-only

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunter

Explorer
The UPS appears to have failed my FreeNAS 8.3.1p2 server (8Gig Ram) during a power outage two weeks ago. After the outage, it seemed to work OK except for hanging sometime overnight. But after the scheduled scrub began on my mirrored pool, it failed to boot any more. The ram is not ECC but I tested the 1st 4Gig of it and tested normal. Building a new freenas server with ECC is on my list of holiday projects...

I could only recover the mirror by burning a new FreeNAS thumb drive to boot from and not importing the prior configuration. Since then, I was able to access the mirror by mounting it read only and attempted to copy the contents of the mirror to a new external drive I bought to use as a backup. When I try to import the pool normally, freeNAS 8.3.1p2 and 9.1.1 both get kernel panics. The Zpool mirror shows the status as being online and reports no errors, just a scrub in progress (which can't be stopped or continued because the pool is mounted as read only).

I have to verify that all the files copied because after running for 2 days copying files, the freenas server rebooted, but not before the right amount of space was used on the backup drive.

So, can anyone help me try to recover my Zpool mirror or decide to abandon it, rebuild, and copy from the (unverified) backup?

I created a pastebin containing the output of commands others ask for before trying to help:
http://pastebin.com/q2Y4Pg0C

hunter

Explorer
Wow question must be toxic waste...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It's not quite toxic, but it's VERY complex and not something most people would be willing to discuss. Even if we did a skype/phone call I could easily spend 2 hours trying to figure out the condition of the pool. As a volunteer it's hard to choose to sit down and spend that kind of time with someone. I've also had conversations that should have taken 20-30 mins take 4+ hours. Most of us more senior guys just run away when we see posts like yours. Not because it's difficult, but because the answer is often non-obvious and very time consuming to make a solid determination.

All of us are volunteers. None of us get paid to be here, so its about maximizing our resources.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I will give you some tidbits. If your pool will only mount read-only your pool is damaged. That's not cool(obviously). You should consider backing up everything on your pool to another location and destroy/recreate the pool.

If you want one-on-one support you should go to IRC. When I'm feeling particularly generous I might help you out with your situation. Please be ready with Skype(or a phone handy if in the USA) and Teamviewer though. You will be forced to put up with my very lame sense of humor though. Consider it the cost of admission. ;)

hunter

Explorer
Thanks for the tidbits cyberjock. About all I really needed was knowing someone more experienced felt backing up and destroy/recreate the pool would be best. That's what I'll do. I studied the manual and solaris manuals for a long time and didn't know if there were any other options I might have overlooked.

My other two servers, that had no UPS connected to protect their drives, have no damage from the power outage. Anyone know how often to test the UPS? Or any logs to monitor that might have indicated it was having a problem?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Logs are lost on shutdown unless you create a syslog dataset on your zpool and reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.