zfs pool upgrade/choosing configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

swbartley

Explorer
Ok I need a little help with my upgrade. I currently have (5) 2TB WD Reds in RAID-Z2 at 84% capacity which I now need to upgrade. I have bought (5) 4TB Seagate NAS drives and I have an extra 2TB Seagate desktop drive along with a 120 SSD just as extras to throw in. I don't have many users so i'm not super worried about performance but I would like to have a balance between redundancy and performance. What I would like to do is have 1 pool utilizing all the drives with 3 as redundancy and the 120 SSD being used for whatever. I do plan on adding another (5) drives at some point and I will max out at 15 drives. I'm open to other options but I need a few suggestions on how to best utilize the current drives.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast

swbartley

Explorer
A good balance of speed and redundancy is generally going to be
A RAIDz2 pool with two or more Vdevs.
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ning-vdev-zpool-zil-and-l2arc-for-noobs.7775/

Thanks for the reply and I have read the pdf cyberjock put together some time ago I have an idea what I want to do I just wanted to get some additional ideas what others would do with the hardware I currently have available. The other reason I posted this was I read a few weeks about about RAIDZ expanding to allow for expanding pools.

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/raidz-expansion-its-happening.58575/#post-413749

kdragon75

Wizard
Leave the extra 2TB drive out and just do a RAIDz2. You would have 2 drive redundancy and that's fairly safe if your new drive before placing you data on them. The SSD would best be used as a boot drive.

pro lamer

Guru

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
RAIDZ expansion is pretty likely to be in FreeNAS before it shows up anywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.