ZFS: i/o Error all block copies unavailable

Status
Not open for further replies.

CINNUR

Cadet
Hello All,

Since I bought my FreeNAS mini so many years ago, it has chugged along without issue. This past weekend I switched to the latest stable branch, from the previous, and now the boot fails.
The error I get is as follows...

"
ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable
ZFS: can't read MOS of pool tank
gptzfsboot: failed to mount default pool tank

FreeBSD/x86 boot
"

Is anyone able to offer advice in advance to hopefully cure this problem and not result in loosing the data I have stored on the system?

Thanks in advance to reading and posting any replies for a possible solution.
Have Fun,
Sean

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Bad news: Your boot pool is probably a goner.
Good news: You're a fresh install and config upload away from being back in business.

You'll probably want to buy a smallish SSD (not the absolute cheapest SanDisk or WD Green, though, those may have a bad firmware version that doesn't play nicely), if it turns out your boot device has failed.

CINNUR

Cadet
Bad news: Your boot pool is probably a goner.
Good news: You're a fresh install and config upload away from being back in business.

You'll probably want to buy a smallish SSD (not the absolute cheapest SanDisk or WD Green, though, those may have a bad firmware version that doesn't play nicely), if it turns out your boot device has failed.

My physical drive has gone belly up?
I figured it was software corruption.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's not certain, but the SATA DOMs that iX used were a bit unreliable. Definitely consider the possibility.

CINNUR

Cadet
Thank You.
I must admit I am trying to figure out the boot drive, please forgive my ignorance.
The storage disks are removed to prevent data loss.
Opening up the system I am guessing that the boot drive is either the one labeled "L2ARC high performance read cache" or "ZIL high performance write cache" unit.

If it is another component, I am missing it, and there is not much in there that would cause me to miss it!

Thanks again Ericloewe. In looking up information on this issue, you seem to be all over the posts helping others.
So again, Thanks!

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Thank You.
I must admit I am trying to figure out the boot drive, please forgive my ignorance.
The storage disks are removed to prevent data loss.
Opening up the system I am guessing that the boot drive is either the one labeled "L2ARC high performance read cache" or "ZIL high performance write cache" unit.

If it is another component, I am missing it, and there is not much in there that would cause me to miss it!

Thanks again Ericloewe. In looking up information on this issue, you seem to be all over the posts helping others.
So again, Thanks!

See page 8 here for a picture of a satadom (yours might look different): https://static.ixsystems.co/uploads...erboard_Removal_and_Replacement_Guide_WEB.pdf

CINNUR

Cadet
Thank You anodos,

I had been wondering if that might be what I am looking for per what Ericloewe wrote.

So if I wish to switch to an SSD instead of the SATA Dom as suggested, is it an easy progression?
Ideally I am thinking that this boot device should be mirrored to improve reliability.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It could be mirrored, but that's overkill if you use an SSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.