y'orite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pallfreeman

Dabbler
Greetings, fellow denizens. I've been spamming the n00b forum for a week and only just discovered the Introductions section.

With more than 30 years in the "IT business", I'm presently employed as a Senior UNIX admin in a dual-sited datacenter where most of my work is Solaris. Before this, I was in networking, mostly using FreeBSD, which I still use at home.

One of my interests is music, and I use Logitech's Squeezebox Server. Others use this software with FreeNAS 7, but nobody had a version which ran on FreeNAS 8. Thinking it would be easy to move my FreeBSD-based variant onto FreeNAS 8, a week ago I started a little project to do just that. Hence my stupid questions in the n00b forum.

ProtoSD

MVP
Welcome, it's nice to have someone with your background here, I've noticed you helping some of the other users and it's really appreciated. At some point you'll probably get tired of answering the same questions. If you have any ideas for the FAQ, or improvements let me know. If you haven't seen this post already, take a look, it has a lot of useful info: Noobs-FAQS-Documentation-are-HERE

pallfreeman

Dabbler
Thanks. :)

I've read through some FAQs, but I haven't found anything which really answers my biggest question: why should I use ZFS?

It's not a question that I need answering for myself, but I'm having considerable trouble coming up with a good answer for someone unfamiliar with storage problems. If I wasn't already a "rabid convert", I might be persuaded by http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=1317400, but sending guys who are just starting to worry about their data to the ACM is a bit naff.

Still, "whither ZFS" is a four-beer discussion, so I'll shut up for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.