Xeon E5 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techie Will

Cadet
Hey all,

Well I've been planning out a build for quite some time revolving around the Avoton platform, but I had something dropped into my lap that will render that plan obsolete. I'm getting a HP Z440 workstation that's stripped down, but motherboard is fine.

It's almost perfect for what I need, as it has six Intel based SATA connections. It will be a 6x2TB or 6x3TB RAIDZ2 array. Already planning on getting plenty of RAM for it (DDR4 ECC).

My question lies in LGA 2011-3 Xeon E5's though. There are two options I'm considering that are both verified to work in this workstation:

E5-1620v3 3.5GHz quad core
E5-2603v3 1.6GHz six core

The price difference is around a hundred bucks between the two, with the 2603v3 being cheaper. The quad core is obviously almost 2.0GHz higher in clock speed.

There will only be three or four clients connecting to this, though I do plan to run at least a few plugins like transmission and Plex for transcoding.

Would either give a significant boost, or should I go for the cheaper option?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Between the 2 options you've listed I'd go with the quad core for the higher clock speed.

marbus90

Guru
If it has DDR4, it should have 10x SATA if HP wasn't too cheap to run the connectors outside :)

For FreeNAS/Fileserver usage in singleprocessor machines the E5-1620 v3 is your best bet since smb is highly singlethreaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.