X10SLM-F-O - 4pin case fan spins up and down - "Lower Critical"

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonbongo

Cadet
Replaced the top fan in my PC-V354 case with a noctua 140mm fan to make it a bit quieter.

Well, now that its installed, the CPU fan (FAN4) and the top fan (FAN3) both spin up and down repeatedly. FAN3 reports "Lower Critical 400RPM", then fan3/fan4 spin up to max, and alert clears. Only to repeat 5 seconds later. Continues in a cycle.

Can of course run the fans at full speed and the problem goes away.

Anyone seen 4pin headers with low RPM have this issue? Opened a case w/ SM to see if the rpm is just too low or something and it detects a critial situation.

Tried FANA (based on System temp, not CPU temp) and same deal.

SM X10SLM-F-O
i3-4160
Intel x520SR
16gb Crucial
4x WD 4TB Red, raidz2
PC-V354
CX-430M 430W

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Replaced the top fan in my PC-V354 case with a noctua 140mm fan to make it a bit quieter.

Well, now that its installed, the CPU fan (FAN4) and the top fan (FAN3) both spin up and down repeatedly. FAN3 reports "Lower Critical 400RPM", then fan3/fan4 spin up to max, and alert clears. Only to repeat 5 seconds later. Continues in a cycle.

Can of course run the fans at full speed and the problem goes away.

Anyone seen 4pin headers with low RPM have this issue? Opened a case w/ SM to see if the rpm is just too low or something and it detects a critial situation.

Tried FANA (based on System temp, not CPU temp) and same deal.

SM X10SLM-F-O
i3-4160
Intel x520SR
16gb Crucial
4x WD 4TB Red, raidz2
PC-V354
CX-430M 430W
Work's been done for you. Just follow the guide BiduleOhm linked. It's the easiest of the two options. I only documented the ipmiutil option because I didn't realize ipmitool was included in FreeNAS. :p

bonbongo

Cadet
Sweet silence! Thanks guys. Should be a little less drama when replacing the front with pwm models now too.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Sweet silence! Thanks guys. Should be a little less drama when replacing the front with pwm models now too.
I know the feeling. My Noctuas constantly spinning up and down made for a very headache-inducing couple of days.

bonbongo

Cadet
Sort of a side note, since you have experience with this - leaving the fan in FANA and instead it was just going full blast. Moved to FAN3, changed the thresh there and it was better.

Aside from system/cpu temp, I'm not clear on any differences with A vs # fans. Any clue?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The X10 FAQ (link in my sig) links to a detailed explanation by GrumpyBear, which should clear things up.

Status
Not open for further replies.