SOLVED Wondering about drive setup

AamirA

Dabbler
I found it kinda hard to explain what I'm envisioning so I made this:

1699818363901.png

Is this setup even possible? In my mind, there is lots of redundancy, 900 gb of the mirror would be mirrored with the seagate. And its better than making a raidz with all three drives because that would cause my total storage to only be 900 gb. If this is not possible, what is my next best move. I don't care too much about redundancy for this pool, focusing on storage.

AamirA

Dabbler
Never mind, I think I'm gonna do something different. I really don't think my idea would work. The seagate drive would have no redundancy. What I plan to do is to mirror the backblaze and the seagate. I guess I just have to deal with the loss of space, and then I'll borg backup the data along with my other pool to the WD drive which will be in a different computer.

Backblaze manufactures harddrives?

chuck32

Guru
Read the documentation about creating pools if you haven't already.

What you can do is either create a 900 GB pool with the WD and Seagate drive or you need purchase another 4tb drive to have redundancy. Make sure your drives are CMS and not SMR.

Then you can add a cloud sync to your B2 under the data protection tab.

AamirA

Dabbler
I just had it laying around, thought a little bit more storage couldn't hurt.

External as in a "remote" drive?

Or as in a USB drive? And even then, I didn't know Backblaze manufactures their own harddrives?

AamirA

Dabbler
USB drive, yeah with their subscription service, you can request them to ship a drive with all your data on that instead of downloading it. Then you can keep the drive by paying for it

It sounds like they rebrand a portable USB drive then? I'd wager it's a Western Digital that they slapped their logo to the enclosure.

Even still, this is getting shaky. But you said you don't care about redundancy.

AamirA

Dabbler
It sounds like they rebrand a portable USB drive then? I'd wager it's a Western Digital that they slapped their logo to the enclosure.

Even still, this is getting shaky. But you said you don't care about redundancy.
Just checked, it is a WD my passport. Anyway, would mirroring it with another external drive work? Or would it be better to just forget about the external drives and only use the current internal drives I'm already using

Outside of one-way occasional backups, USB drives are not good candidates for ZFS.