Wireguard Access to Plex

mooseca

Cadet
I've just migrated everthing across from CORE to SCALE and am enjoying it much more so far. I'm behind a CGNat and used to use tailscale to access my server but decided I wanted to make it public so have purchased a VPS and spent the day setting up wireguard. I can currently access the rest of my apps via the VPS public IP but I cannot access Plex for some reason which is kind of the whole point of the setup. Is there some sort of firewall blocking traffic from reaching their specific pods? I currently have the VPS firewall off to eliminated anything until I can get it to work. 192.168.2.xx is my local subnet.

If anyone would be able to it would be appreciated, I've been stuck on this for most of the day.

Last edited by a moderator:

mooseca

Cadet
Reupload without sensitive information:

TrueNAS wg0:
1708158232572.png

VPS wg0:
1708158316955.png

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Time to regenerate all those key pairs...

+1 Tailscale. Even a primate like me can set it up.

chuck32

Guru
I currently have the VPS firewall off to eliminated anything until I can get it to work. 192.168.2.xx is my local subnet.
Reenable the firewall. You only need to expose you listening port for UDP traffic. Nothing else is needed here on the VPS side for incoming traffic.

I can currently access the rest of my apps via the VPS public IP but I cannot access Plex for some reason which is kind of the whole point of the setup.
How is plex setup / how do you access it inside your homenetwork? 192.168.2.xx:XXXXX?

mooseca

Cadet
Reenable the firewall. You only need to expose you listening port for UDP traffic. Nothing else is needed here on the VPS side for incoming traffic.

How is plex setup / how do you access it inside your homenetwork? 192.168.2.xx:XXXXX?
Yes all my truenas apps are accessible at 192.168.2.86 and then their respective port. I can ping this IP from the VPS and as I said before I can access the ports of my overseerr and sonarr from the VPS public IP but not my Plex server.

Hopefully I can work something out today or someone can point me in right direction. Thank you for the replies so far.

chuck32

Guru
Okay if you verified that other ports on that machine are working I'm out of ideas other than a plex specific setting. Although I'm running scale I only use rsync as an app so I don't have any experience in their setup.

The wireguard connection seems to be working then. From what you posted I don't see any firewall in between that could interfere. What error message do you get when trying to access plex?

Can you get tailscale up again and verify it's working then? Is your plex network interface configured correctly? Did you maybe need to setup a bridge for the other services and just forgot for plex?

Although I'm not sure I can help you if it's plex specifc, try to give as much information as possible.

mooseca

Cadet
Thank you for your replies, here is my error code I get when trying to access the plex web GUI via public IP:
1708208893919.png

I'll set up tailscale now and try again.

chuck32

Guru
I really hope you took @Arwen advice to heart and regenerated keys now that you also posted the VPS IP. You may want to redact that anyway though.

I'm curious if tailscale will work, report back :)

mooseca

Cadet
Yeah I regenerated the keys about an hour ago, didn't realize I posted public IP then whoops, just woke up.

Bainnor

Dabbler
I'm a noob with regards to Wireguard and VPS configuration, but if this makes your connection appear outside your local network, you may have to enable Remote Access in the Plex settings, as I believe Plex is set by default to block access outside your network.

mooseca

Cadet
SO an update. I installed the tailscale app and couldn't add subnet routes so proceeded to use a VM. In the VM it also didn't work with subnet routes enabled. This is how I used to use with it with truenas CORE in a tailscale jail and had access to my entire LAN. I have also tried to install tailscale on my main Windows PC with subnets enabled and still cannot access my TrueNAS. I use tailscale subnet on a single office PC and can connect to them all as well with the relative local IP's.

At this point I'm unsure what's happening, could truenas be blocking attempts to access it's services, although coming through tailscale I would have thought it would look local.

I'm going away for a couple weeks so won't be able to try anything but a bit bummed as won't be able to access my Plex setup. Luckily DigitalOcean had a $200 credit sign up so gives me a bit of time to try and work something out with Wireguard when I return.

mooseca

Cadet
Another update. I finally got it to work and can now access my plex and other apps on truenas. I also configured it to route ports to my gaming PC for , moonlight game streaming so I'm pretty stoked. I had used all of these with tailscale and it wasn't the best, but with wireguard it is so much faster. I can gamestream at 1080p 30fps and watch Plex at 1080 from anywhere now! I will post my configs once I return home again in a couple days.