Will data be safe if reinstall of FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

avalon60

Guru
Due to a apparently damaged database and other minor problems with my current FreeNAS 9.10 setup, I think I may need to start again.

I have 3 volumes? or 3 sets of drives, ie x5 2tB Reds in 1 volume, x2 1tb Greens in another volume and x1 1tb Purple for cctv picyures and videos.

If I reinstall FreeNAS 9.10 Stable will I have to set the volumes again to what or how they are now?

I suppose I just want to know what best way is so that I don't loose any data from the x5 2tb Reds

9C1 Newbee

Patron
Are the volumes encrypted?

avalon60

Guru
No, none of them are encrypted

9C1 Newbee

Patron
It is my understanding your data won't be harmed. If it were me, I would use a different boot device in the mean time. If something undesirable happens with the new install, just put the old boot device back. No harm no foul.

I did the same thing at one point. Also, I somehow had an encrypted volume I didn't know about. The new install didn't mount the encrypted volume. I had to boot the old thumb drive in order to get the key. After I put the key in the new install, the volume mounted right up.

avalon60

Guru
Thanks, but I don't have a different boot device now only then SSD drive. I'm going to have to do something now because the usb boot device won't boot now, and I have errors with the SSD boot environment now.

Edit: I installed FreeNAS 9.10 onto a usb drive and booted from it. The wizard then started and I added the volumes which I had previously set up. So I thought that was painless untill I checked the Network folder in windows. FreeNAS was there, and so was 1 of the volumes but nothing else underneath it. I then added the other 2 volumes from the dropdown list, but again nothing was showing in windows.
Do have to re create the datasets within FreeNAS .

For example I have a 2 disk volume for Backup_Data, and under that I have Photos, Documents etc.
So it looks like this:
Backup_Data
Documents
Photos
When I import the said volume, the datasets are already there.

It would then seem that I have either done something wrong or not done something in the wizard.
What is the best way to add my volumes with all the data intact.

Last edited:

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler

9C1 Newbee

Patron
I am unfamiliar with the wizard. It sounds like you need to go into "Sharing" tab at the top. From there you can set up a network share.

http://doc.freenas.org/9.10/freenas_sharing.html

I think all the datasets should be there. With a fresh FreeNAS install, you will have some configuring to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.