Why are my uploads/downloads so slow?

semmelghg

Cadet
I have a problem, where my uploads/downloads to my truenas system are very slow... I am new to truenas and hope anyone can help me fix my issue
truenas specs:
Core I7 4770
10GB DDR3 RAM
60Gb boot SSD + 2x 500Gb WD Blue
GTX 660
Intel desktop board

Screenshot 2023-05-15 153817.png

Davvo

MVP
Please provide more details about your motherboard and how are you nas and pc connected, as well as how full your pool is.

semmelghg

Cadet
It's an Intel Desktop Board 02 DH87MC my nas and pc are connected via switch which is connected to my range extender my pool is 1% filled

Davvo

MVP

joeschmuck

Old Man
Well I see one huge potential problem
which is connected to my range extender
I suspect this is WiFi?

As @Davvo has said, you need to provide real details. Large Files, Small Files, your exact network layout, the remote computer specs, all of it matter in order to produce a reasonable answer. In the original posting you have 2,826 files you are transferring that total to 15GB. To me this is a lot of small files and performance of course will suffer. If you are using WiFi, that makes it worse.

Please provide more details. And try to transfer a single large file that is at least 1GB or larger, report the transfer speed of that as well.

semmelghg

Cadet
The remote computer specs are:
Ryzen 7 3800x
rtx3060 ti
msi b450m pro m2 max
32gb of ddr4 ram

jgreco

Resident Grinch
This is the upload speed over lan and with a 3+ GB file:

You're using a mainboard with a Realtek 8111 ethernet chipset, one of the crappiest ethernet chipsets on the face of the planet. I'm really not surprised that it is drag-ass slow. It's so bad we even have a resource dedicated to the topic.

You can fix this by buying an Intel Desktop CT ethernet card (be sure it's legit, not a knockoff, avoid eBay and avoid Amazon) but the real fix in the future is to buy a server-oriented board because these typically come with high performance Intel ethernets and also other useful server oriented features.