What must I do to transfer a RAIDZ2 to new physical server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxManus

Cadet
I'm now running FreeNAS as VM on my home server (P8Z77-V PRO and 32 GB RAM) and Bare Metal ESXi 5.1. I have plans to add a MegaRAID Sas 9240 8I disk control card, dedicating all drives on the card to FreeNAS and set them up as RAIDZ2.

This is likely to show a temporary solution until I put together a separate physical server based on the Intel Atom CPU (S1200?). Something similar is Supermicro's motherboard X9SBAA-F (http://www.supermicro.nl/products/motherboard/ATOM/X9/X9SBAA-F.cfm ), but that only 8 GB of RAM.

Can I do when I find a suitable motherboard, transfer all disks with control card to the new server without losing the contents of the disks?

If the answer is yes, what implies that?

/Stein

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yes. Not sure what you are asking for with your comment "what implies that".

ZFS just looks for all of its zpool parts from all of the available disks. If your disks are available to FreeBSD(aka your new controller is supported) and you didn't do something crazy like use virtualized disks or hardware RAID then it should "Just Work"(TM). This is one of the reasons why ZFS is so awesome. In a hardware RAID if your controller dies you are pretty much out of luck with accessing your data without the same controller brand(sometimes exact model and firmware version) and who wants to buy an old outdated RAID card just to get access back to their data?

Status
Not open for further replies.