What does: # zfs destroy tank/home/blabla , destroy ? parent, child objects ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike77

Contributor
Hi,

Can anyone tell me what the cli command zfs destroy, actually destroys ?

I have a couple of zfs objects (don't know what they are), remaining from an old Coral install, that I'm tempted to remove.

NAS/.vm_cache 45.7M 8.77T 176K /mnt/NAS/.vm_cache
NAS/.vm_cache/boot2docker 45.5M 8.77T 176K /mnt/NAS/.vm_cache/boot2docker
NAS/.vm_cache/boot2docker/initrd 41.7M 8.77T 41.7M /mnt/NAS/.vm_cache/boot2docker/initrd
NAS/.vm_cache/boot2docker/vmlinuz64 3.66M 8.77T 3.66M /mnt/NAS/.vm_cache/boot2docker/vmlinuz64

But I'm not sure if I can just destroy them and I'm not sure if the ZFS destroy command is the right way to go.

Does "# zfs destroy tank/home/blabla" just destroy blabla, or does it also destroy home/blabla ?
And does it destroy blabla/temp/bla, or just blabla ?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
These don't show up in the GUI under the STORAGE tab when you drop down for pool details?

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I have a couple of zfs objects (don't know what they are), remaining from an old Coral install, that I'm tempted to remove.
Since the information you've provided is kinda sketchy, I'm gonna make some assumptions here...
  1. You are running 9.10.3U as stated in your signature AND have no backups.
  2. You have been around here long enough to KNOW, that doing things like this from the CLI (behind the back of the OS) is VERY risky!!!
  3. The files in question are causing no issue, and are only taking up a small amount of space thus getting rid of them are gaining you almost nothing.
So if my assumptions are correct, my advise is to do your best to resist the temptation.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Since the information you've provided is kinda sketchy, I'm gonna make some assumptions here...
  1. You are running 9.10.3U as stated in your signature AND have no backups.
  2. You have been around here long enough to KNOW, that doing things like this from the CLI (behind the back of the OS) is VERY risky!!!
  3. The files in question are causing no issue, and are only taking up a small amount of space thus getting rid of them are gaining you almost nothing.
So if my assumptions are correct, my advise is to do your best to resist the temptation.
Well, all that being said Dave, I understand his feelings. Whenever there is ANYTHING on my server that is not supposed to be there, or anything that is not ideally set up, I don't know about the gentleman here, but I myself will be constantly upset about it even when I'm at work. Having datasets from a no-longer-used version of FreeNAS "polluting" the chastity of my server would be annoying as hell to me. I'd want it gone too.

Mike77

Contributor
Hi,

No, they don't show up in the drop down, nor do they show up in the storage tab.

And the strange thing is, other things do show up, and at the moment a lot of things don't work.
I've already posted this in a different thread (doubles of datasets in dropdown menus (after upgrade to v.11)). The advice was to copy the media to a different dataset, destroy the earlier dataset, after which the double datasets might show. But sadly that didn't happen.

So my current train of thought is to remove the parts that don't seem to belong to my current FreeNas install.

FreeNas Corral was nice, but since the upgrade to Corral and after that the downgrade to 9.10 and now the upgrade to 11 things seem to be getting worse with my machine.

[EDIT] And, nope I don't have a backup of all data. Sadly that isn't possible for me. It's to much, and this is a home machine. So maybe in the future I will be able to build a second and backup all of the media. But at the moment this is the backup and more..

Last edited:

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
So my current train of thought is to remove the parts, that don't seem to belong to my current FreeNas install.
What I'm concerned about is that this whole situation is unprecedented and the "parts" you speak of may, or may not belong to your current install. Even if you can be fairly
certain of the actions of the command #zfs destroy (as asked in the OP) without backups I'm strongly urging you to proceed very slowly.

Now that we are aware that your instance is not acting right, loosen up those typing digits and tell us the long gory details.

I've already posted this in a different thread.
Try and get a mod to merge or otherwise fix this to avoid confusion please.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
FreeNas Corral was nice, but since the upgrade to Corral and after that the downgrade to 9.10 and now the upgrade to 11 things seem to be getting worse.
As far as this goes, going from Corral to 9.10 Stable and now to a release client version is IMHO more likely to be the cause of your troubles, rather than some old Corral leftovers.:(

rs225

Guru
I second BigDave. Don't mess with it.

Instead, imagine a lightning bolt is going to hit your system in 7 days. Identify the data you would like to backup before then, and do so. Possibly create a new dataset just for this critical data so that you can always keep it backed up.

You'll thank me in a few years/decades.

Mike77

Contributor
Guys, thanks.

I'm assuming that you mean merging the two threads? I don't know how to do this. Do I ask this to an administrator, or can I do this myself?

As I wrote before, the data is already moved to new datasets with new/different names. So that's already taken care of. And all the old datasets are already deleted via the GUI. But het new datasets are still in the old zpool. I have only one. See the attached file with the "zfs list" output.

But at the moment the pluggins (Plex e.d.) don't work. I've done two new installs, but these plugins keep coming back to their old storage/dataset, which I can't see (not in storage, not in zfs list). So at the moment the machine doesn't work. It's just a big storage. And the data that I don't want to lose is to big to move to the external drives that I have. So that's not really an option.

So the only two options that I see at the moment are, turn of the machine and quit using it (while waiting till someone has the same problem and solves it), or try removing these remnants of the old Coral Docker installs and see if it solves the plugin problem.

Attachments

• ZFS list.txt
    7.5 KB · Views: 432

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Since I have recently changed update trains (forced through the CLI from 11 Nightlies to RC11) I was curious to look at the output
and see if we had any similarities. I seem to have the same files listed as your OP. Check it out...

Code:
FreeBSD 11.0-STABLE (FreeNAS.amd64) #0 r313908+3f7f2032d86(freenas/11.0-stable):  Thu May  4 02:25:25 UTC 2017

FreeNAS (c) 2009-2017, The FreeNAS Development Team
  All rights reserved.
  FreeNAS is released under the modified BSD license.

For more information, documentation, help or support, go here:
  http://freenas.org
Welcome to FreeNAS
root@testbench:~ # zfs list
NAME  USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
freenas-boot  5.75G  23.1G  64K  none
freenas-boot/.system  7.84M  23.1G  421K  legacy
freenas-boot/.system/configs-49427cd7f89a48d0a2bcea9527a94865  2.35M  23.1G  2.35M  legacy
freenas-boot/.system/cores  414K  23.1G  414K  legacy
freenas-boot/.system/rrd-49427cd7f89a48d0a2bcea9527a94865  2.41M  23.1G  2.41M  legacy
freenas-boot/.system/samba4  111K  23.1G  111K  legacy
freenas-boot/.system/syslog-49427cd7f89a48d0a2bcea9527a94865  2.16M  23.1G  2.16M  legacy
freenas-boot/ROOT  5.72G  23.1G  29K  none
freenas-boot/ROOT/11-MASTER-201704280408  2.69M  23.1G  731M  /
freenas-boot/ROOT/11-MASTER-201704290408  2.64M  23.1G  731M  /
freenas-boot/ROOT/11-MASTER-201704300409  2.64M  23.1G  731M  /
freenas-boot/ROOT/11-MASTER-201705010408  2.73M  23.1G  731M  /
freenas-boot/ROOT/11-MASTER-201705040408  2.78M  23.1G  731M  /
freenas-boot/ROOT/11-MASTER-201705050409  190K  23.1G  732M  /
freenas-boot/ROOT/11.0-RC  5.70G  23.1G  731M  /
freenas-boot/ROOT/9.10-MASTER-201704190613  1.93M  23.1G  724M  /
freenas-boot/grub  6.28M  23.1G  6.28M  legacy
tank  6.67G  95.5G  88K  /mnt/tank
tank/.vm_cache  45.4M  95.5G  88K  /mnt/tank/.vm_cache
tank/.vm_cache/boot2docker  45.3M  95.5G  88K  /mnt/tank/.vm_cache/boot2docker
tank/.vm_cache/boot2docker/initrd  41.7M  95.5G  41.7M  /mnt/tank/.vm_cache/boot2docker/initrd
tank/.vm_cache/boot2docker/vmlinuz64  3.57M  95.5G  3.57M  /mnt/tank/.vm_cache/boot2docker/vmlinuz64
tank/share  6.62G  95.5G  88K  /mnt/tank/share
tank/share/media  6.62G  95.5G  6.62G  /mnt/tank/share/media
root@testbench:~ #

I have fewer datasets of course and the pool name is different, but the */.vm_cache* listing are almost identical.

After looking at this and knowing Corral has never been part of MY install, my guess is that if you "zfs destroy" any of those files
that you listed in your original post, you pool may go bye-bye :eek:

I would like this to be verified by someone else as to the accuracy of my take on this please.

Mike77

Contributor
Thanks. You're right. They are almost completly the same (size differs a small amount).

So I'll have to wait for someone that knows more about this problem.

But at the moment it seems that you saved my zpool !!!! Thanks again.

Strange, seeing that you haven't had an install of Corral, and I thought 11RC didn't support Docker's...

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Thanks. You're right. They are almost completly the same (size differs a small amount).

So I'll have to wait for someone that knows more about this problem.

But at the moment it seems that you saved my zpool !!!! Thanks again.

Strange, seeing that you haven't had an install of Corral, and I thought 11RC didn't support Docker's...
You are most welcome Sir!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm assuming that you mean merging the two threads? I don't know how to do this. Do I ask this to an administrator, or can I do this myself?
No, letting random users (no offense) mess around with threads is a Very Bad Idea.

Link to the other thread and I'll merge them.

Zwck

Patron
I also have these leftovers on my hard drive. Typically during boot you'll notice a faild mount attempt for these VM reminiscences from Corral. Has someone found a way to get rid of .vm_cache/... ?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    5.1 KB · Views: 341

Mike77

Contributor
I also have these leftovers on my hard drive. Typically during boot you'll notice a faild mount attempt for these VM reminiscences from Corral. Has someone found a way to get rid of .vm_cache/... ?

Nope. Didn't find a reason why they are there. I'm still in the process of removing my data to another system, so I can setup everything from scratch. But II followed the advise of BigDave to leave it alone, and at the moment my machine is still working. But I agree that is still bugs me.

Status
Not open for further replies.