What are the largest capacity disks I can use in my FreeNAS Minis?

sterickson

Dabbler
I have two FREENAS-MINI-2.0, and a FREENAS-MINI-XL. The largest capacity drives I am currently using are 8TB WD drives.

I'd like to know if I can use WD's WD181KFGX 18TB drives (4 in each Mini and 8 in the Mini-XL). If I can't use these, what are the largest I *can* use?

Don't want to lay out the cash on something I can't use ...

sterickson

Dabbler
In case it matters, I *did* read the TrueNAS supported drive list. It's good to know that the TrueNAS *software* would support the larger drives, but I'm using them in older FreeNAS Mini* devices, from IX, rather than the newer TrueNAS Mini* devices they currently sell. I want to be sure that my hardware will support bigger drives, than 8TB and, if so, how big I can go. If serial numbers for my devices are needed, they can be provided.

sterickson

Dabbler
Since I got no responses, I settled on buying a single WD RED Plus 14TB drive, and testing it in my older systems. It works fine. So, over my wallet's protests, I've ordered 16 more, so I can fully upgrade all three Minis, with a cold spare for the shelf. Edit: I imagine I could use the even larger Pro drives, but that's untested, as of now. My only real concern is thermal, at this point, which I'll be keeping an eye on.

Last edited: