web interface could not be accessed please check network configuration - Console ERROR

nerzo

Cadet
Hi all,

I've just downloaded and installed freeNAS 11.2-U3 using a usb stick onto my 240GB Samsung SSD HDD Sata3, Installation was ok, however once the OS loaded i got the error (freenas the web interface could not be accessed please check network configuration). The issue i have is that i cannot make any selections in the console menu. I've attached a screenshot example. When ever i make any selection between 1 to 11 nothing happens, the "select an interface (q to quit):" keeps appearing.

My current hardware is below.
  • motherboard make and model - Gigabyte Assassin 2 rev1.0
  • CPU make and model - Intel i7 3930K
  • RAM quantity - 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1644Mhz
  • hard drives, quantity, model numbers, and RAID configuration, including boot drives - Samsung SSD 240GB Sata 3
  • hard disk controllers - on-board iTE IT8728 chip
  • network cards - on-board Bigfoot Killer E2100 chip (10/100/1000 Mbit)
I've spent two days on forums and googling the issue and couldn't find a similar problem, so I've decided to create a forum post.
Looking forward to hearing from all you experts.

Kind Regards

Attachments

• 20190407_101644.jpg
    20190407_101644.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 6,048

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but your system is not compatible with FreeNAS at a hardware level. There are no recognized network interfaces to configure. That screen should look like this, populated with at least one network interface to configure"
1554603979583.png

Gaming hardware is often a poor choice for a NAS. Here is our hardware guide:

FreeNAS® Quick Hardware Guide
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/freenas®-quick-hardware-guide.7/

Hardware Recommendations Guide Rev. 1e) 2017-05-06
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/hardware-recommendations-guide.12/

Hardware Recommendations by @cyberjock - from 26 Aug 2014 - and still valid
https://forums.freenas.org/threads/hardware-recommendations-read-this-first.23069/

nerzo

Cadet
Thanks for the reply Chris, i wanted to re-salvage the old gaming rig into something useful :D i was hoping that the freeNAS OS would work. Is there another option that you recommend eg: windows based program that could act as a home media server that can be accessed and managed remotely?

I was hoping to get it to work so the kids could access it through the "smart TV" to watch all their favorite movies/shows.

Regards

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I guess it depends on what your budget is. You might be able to buy a part or two and stay with FreeNAS, but if you are willing to go to another OS, you might not need any hardware. Options are all over.
You might be able to disable the integrated NIC and install a network card. It would cost a little but not a lot. There might be other problems though. I don't recognize that SATA controller either, so I am worried that the drive controller might be a problem. You can put a card in for that also, but by the time you put a couple cards in. it might be less trouble to replace the system board.

Here is an example. This system board should work with your existing CPU and RAM but be fully compatible with FreeNAS and it has the additional benefit of having IPMI for remote management.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SuperMicro-X9SRL-F-Motherboard-Socket-LGA2011-System-Board/123687860510

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I was hoping to get it to work so the kids could access it through the "smart TV" to watch all their favorite movies/shows.
You can setup a Plex server on Windows, but there are additional benefits to having a FreeNAS server. You might want to take some time to learn about FreeNAS.
The advantage of the system board I pointed out is that you can sell your existing system board and video card on eBay and you might even make a profit on selling those vs buying the server board I pointed out.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
network cards - on-board Bigfoot Killer E2100 chip (10/100/1000 Mbit)
Gotta love Killer NICs. They're almost as crappy as Realtek, but not nearly popular enough to warrant serious driver efforts.

msbxa

Contributor
I just got hit with same problem under FreeNAS 11.2 U6 cant get into FreeNAS WebGui "* The web interface could not bind to 192.168.1.3; using 0.0.0.0" and i am fully hardware compatible and i can see all network interfaces exactly as chris More screen shot but it seems cant be able to resolve this as of this writting. I can get into shell console but no idea what to do. Any help would be apreciated. Last time it happen with my test FreeNAS and couldnt be able to resolved the problem I end reset configuration to default then later restore with my config, but this one is my production it should be something i can do.

1569638981998.png

I tried several times to reset configuration to defaults but never work or managed to get ip for webgui so at the end i decided to restore back to FreeNAS 11.1 U7 and now everything works fine and what I lost was 2 days of work mostly for testing purposes and not much important.

Last edited:

Danfe

Cadet
I had the same problem.
I connected my computer to the router through an ethernet cable and that solved the problem for me.