Web GUI works sometimes.. Not always

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdbaumann

Explorer
So here's the issue I have been having, and I searched but only found things about just after install or other issues that didn't match mine.

I have had FreeNAS 11 running for sometime, but for the few months I can load the page on one browser, but not on another. Now before you ask it's random which one it will work on.

For example I am using Chrome, Edge and Safari.

I have this issue on Mac or PC (Win 10).

What happens is that I start a browser, log into one of my FreeNAS boxes (I have a dozen at least), and works fine. I can do that to all of my boxes. I leave those sessions open, I come back the next day and I get a refresh and relog in and now it's random if I get the admin page or not. Sometimes I can click multiple times on the FreeNAS logo in the left corner and suddenly I will get the admin page back. Other times I do not get to the admin page at all. So I open a different browser and can log in (but even that is sometimes random).

These boxes have all been upgrade from prior versions. Not sure if that matters, but I am at a loss. Sometime I reboot my desktop or the laptop and it still will not log in... I have even gone directly to the login page and get that log in and still a blank.

Ideas to try?

Thanks

SlackerDude

Explorer
I have had this happen to me from time to time as well, and I found that clearing the cache and/or cookies on the browser clears it up nicely.

Just my 1.3 cents (after taxes)

On mine Edge will not load, on chrome this happens from time to time and after a couple refreshes it will come up properly, internet explorer works when it wants. For me clearing cache for edge and IE make no difference.

Edit:i just disabled the HTTPS and it loaded on edge perfectly.....

kdbaumann

Explorer
Interesting. Thanks for the hints will try. But shouldn't this just work regardless? I mean, clearing the cache etc fine and dandy, but if you are managing multiple FN boxes this will and is quickly a PITA... Thanks for the responses. Let you know what I find that works for me.

indeed it is troublesome I just noticed this appear in my console while experimenting with switching HTTPS on and off

Attachments

• console after HTTPS.png
    console after HTTPS.png
    16.9 KB · Views: 180

kdbaumann

Explorer
Clearing cache on Edge didn't help.
Clearing cache on Chrome didn't seem to help either... ?

kdbaumann

Explorer
I was able to log into one FN box, and not the other. I cleared cache and restarted the browser. Now I can't get into any of my FN boxes on Edge. Chrome seems to be ok if you refresh a ton then it will finally catch... So to speak.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
But shouldn't this just work regardless?
I am always perplexed when I see threads like this. I have been running multiple FreeNAS boxes on several networks since 2011 and never had this type of problem.
Right now, I literally have not rebooted my FreeNAS systems in over a month (not since the last facility power issue) and my Windows desktop has not been rebooted in more than two weeks and I leave the tabs for FreeNAS up in FireFox all the time. It is a setting in my FireFox session that when I launch FireFox it opens the tabs to the pFsense routers and the the FreeNAS systems so I can check their status but I usually leave it up all day, every day and never have a problem.
I think the people that are having problems with it must be doing something special with regard to the network that is somehow breaking the connectivity between FreeNAS and the browser session.
What (if you can / will share) do you have going on with the rest of the network? How are the credentials being validated? Domain joined?

more testing 11.0-U4
current UI HTTP: works on chrome,edge HTTPS: (with cert error) works on chrome most of the time
New UI HTTP: works edge,chrome and IE HTTPS: (with cert error) works edge,chrome and IE

kdbaumann

Explorer
My network is diverse.

Internally I have 1Gbps connections to the servers from the work station (PC and Mac Laptop), no special authorization since this is internal and behind a firewall (Meraki). Switches are Meraki with 10Gbps from the switch to the FN boxes. None of this has changed in ages.

I leave my PC on all of the time, and leave Chrome and Edge up all of the time. I do not use Firefox any longer since support has gotten a bit iffy.

Externally the FN boxes are either behind a Cisco ASA firewall or out in the open (yeah I know). If behind a firewall I VPN into to FW first and then get into the web interface of those boxes. The ones that are exposed I just web into them. All of these boxes have been updated to the latest v11.

So local it's direct. Method one external is via VPN, Method two is via open Internet.

Hope the helps. I did not have this problem until I upgraded the boxes to v11. Could that be the issue?

Thanks!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
This is supposed to be fixed in 11.1. There are quite a few threads describing the issue if you do a quick search.

Historically, this happened occasionally and flushing the browser cache would fix it. More recently, it's become a problem with some specific configurations (Edge stopped working for me with 11.0-U4 a few weeks ago, for instance) of browser + FreeNAS version.

Just another reason why a new GUI was needed.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
out in the open (yeah I know
If you know why the heck are you doing it. I hope you know that those machines are part of a bother but now and probably mining crypto currency or something.

kdbaumann

Explorer
:smile: Yeah yeah. Actually the other night I finally put them behind a firewall. So no issue now. But good point. :smile:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
:) Yeah yeah. Actually the other night I finally put them behind a firewall. So no issue now. But good point. :)
You reinstall the os?

Status
Not open for further replies.