WD60EFZX 6TB drives flakey in SuperMicro SC846 Chassis

Hobbes

Dabbler
I seem to have a similar issue to https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/new-drives-are-not-showing-up.102672/ but it's not exactly the same so I didn't want to hijack that thread.

My build is:
SuperMicro SC846 chassis
SuperMicro 846TQ backplane (24 SATA ports)
Supermicro X8DT3-F mobo with dual Xeon 5650 and 192GB RAM
3 IBM M1015 HBA running 20.00.07.00 FW connecting to backplane using 6 x mini SAS to 4 SATA breakout cables

I'm running TrueNAS Core 12 U8 with 1 pool, 3 vdevs of 8 disk running RAIDZ2

I used to have 24 x 3TB disks and progressively replaced 2 vdevs with 4TB disks. The 4TB disks are a mix of WD Reds and HGST disk. None of the current or new drives are shucked. I had 0 issues replacing 1 disk at a time and resilvering the vdev and as each vdev was done more space appeared. The last vdev I decided to install the 6TB WD Red Plus, WD60EFZX drives. The first couple went as expected but then the 3rd one wouldn't get detected and the drive carrier showed the top light as solid blue. With my SATA drives, the top light should usually be unlit and flash with activity. I went through several reboots, cold reboots, reinserted the carrier and nothing changed. On 1 of the reboots actually one of the 6TB drives that was working fine became unavailable with the same status light solid blue. From what I could find the LED goes solid blue when it's a SAS drive but that's not the case here.

I swapped the mini sas cables between two M1015 HBA's and 1 drive was detected. The other drive that wasn't detected eventually was detected after the NAS was online for a couple of hrs which I was surprised at. Console showed this msg,

da:23: <ATA WDC W60EFZX-60B 0A81> Fixed Direct Access SPC-4 SCSI Device
da:23: Serial Number xxxx
da23: 600.000MB/s transfers

So I'm wondering if this is indicative of a compatibility issue with the backplane or the HBA's? Are the 1015's running that version of FW (still most current for these oldies?) compatible with 6TB disks? Is there a size limit?

Has there been anyone with this backplane running 6TB+ disks?

This config has been rock solid until trying to utilize these larger drives. Should I ditch these newer 6TB drives and go for some used 6TB HGST's and keep spares onhand. lol Not sure if it's size of drive or just newer drives causing this problem.

Thanks all.

NASbox

Guru
These drives have been flawless for me for several years:
| da1p1 | ATA WDC WD60EFRX-68L |
| da1p2 | ATA WDC WD60EFRX-68L |
| da2p2 | ATA WDC WD60EFRX-68L |
| da3p2 | ATA WDC WD60EFRX-68M |
| da4p2 | ATA WDC WD60EFRX-68M |
| da5p2 | ATA WDC WD60EFRX-68L |
| da6p2 | ATA WDC WD60EFRX-68L |

I got a couple of small data corruption errors on da3/da6 (not at the same time) spaced over several months, but the drives were pushing 50000Hrs, long smart passed and no errors showed up in a scrub .

I'm wondering if it's the firmware?

Hobbes

Dabbler
If anyone comes across this thread I switched around the M1015 controlling the bays I was having trouble with and was able to replace the remaining 3tb with 6TB WD Red Plus drives without any issue. All M1015's are running the same firmware so not sure why I was having this trouble. If I end up upgrading another vdev with 6TB drives I'll see whether this becomes an issue or not.