WD Red Plus 5400 and 7200

Glorious1

Guru
This is an interesting thread. I just replaced a pool with 5, 6 TB WD Red Plus. They run 5-8 C hotter than the 3 TB drives in the other pool (even 9 C hotter when busy).

They're showing 5640 rpm in SMART and the GUI. Model numbers are all WDC WD60EFZX-68B3FN0.

Could these really be running at 7200 rpm? Or is it to be expected that a 6 TB drive would run substantially hotter than 3 TB drives?

technoholic

Dabbler
B&H is being quite reasonable offering to take the drives back but they do not have any replacements in stock. After B&H a call to WD was less than satisfying. After explaining this is an array running on FreeNAS they keep wanting me to run their windows desktop utility. The incident was updated with FreeNAS screen shots and complete firmware query return. Hope that will get some results. The problem IMO lies squarely on WD. Their drives are mis-marked but they seem not to want to recognize that fact.
Finally! WD admits that 2 of four drives are running at 5400RPM. Their solution - Return 2 drives to seller and buy 2 7200 RPM drives direct from WD for $200.00 each, about $20 more than I paid at B&H. Not an ideal answer.

technoholic

Dabbler
This is an interesting thread. I just replaced a pool with 5, 6 TB WD Red Plus. They run 5-8 C hotter than the 3 TB drives in the other pool (even 9 C hotter when busy).

They're showing 5640 rpm in SMART and the GUI. Model numbers are all WDC WD60EFZX-68B3FN0.

Could these really be running at 7200 rpm? Or is it to be expected that a 6 TB drive would run substantially hotter than 3 TB drives?
From what I have seen in my upgrade experience, a bump in capacity is likely to accompany a bump in operating temp given the same airflow.

Glorious1

Guru
From what I have seen in my upgrade experience, a bump in capacity is likely to accompany a bump in operating temp given the same airflow.
Good to know, thanks. Guess I should upgrade the other pool and the fans as well.