Wanting to get from mirror to Raid-Z1

I'm trying to convert my current setup of Four 3 TB drives from mirror to RAIZ1 so that I can increase my usable TBs to 9. How do you immediately offline the sparse files, copy the data from the old to the new pool, and replace the sparse files? I see how to detach, then I'm a bit clueless as to how to proceed after that.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
If you're starting from a pair of mirrors, you can't do it in place... creating a degraded RAIDZ1 pool requires the total number of disks minus 1, not minus2, to be present to run degraded for the transfer.

In any case, it's clearly written up (including the appropriate warnings) here:

Sorry it's taken so long to reply to this. I see that it's pretty tricky to create a raidZ1 from mirror. So, I was thinking I could attach a USB 3.0 1.5 TB portable drive to the system and somehow copy all the information to that drive. I really don't have a lot of data on it (under 1 TB), I just don't want to have to reimport and reconfigure everything, but maybe that's the best solution? Do you think it would take just as long to remove the first pool and reconfigure everything, starting from scratch?

Sorry it's taken so long to reply to this. I see that it's pretty tricky to create a raidZ1 from mirror. So, I was thinking I could attach a USB 3.0 1.5 TB portable drive to the system and somehow copy all the information to that drive. I really don't have a lot of data on it (under 1 TB), I just don't want to have to reimport and reconfigure everything, but maybe that's the best solution? Do you think it would take just as long to remove the first pool and reconfigure everything, starting from scratch?
Actually my current storage total used is just under 300 GiB

danb35

Hall of Famer
Why didn't you ask this question on the discussion thread for the resource, that you've now been given the link to two different times? You were given the answer on Monday when you first asked the question. Why open a new thread to ask it again? Did you think you'd get a different answer?