SOLVED Volume size smaller than expected

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITGuy1024

Explorer
My first real question (cracks knuckles)..

I have a volume with four 3TB drives in Raidz1, the volume says 10.9TB is available however the dataset shows only 7.7TB available.
It just seems low for some reason or I had higher expectations.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
How can you possibly have 10.9TB available with the equivalent of three pseudo-3TB drives? What's the output of zpool status? I get the feeling they're all striped. Code tags or pastebin please.

ITGuy1024

Explorer
Code:
pool: PoolA                                                                                                                     
state: ONLINE                                                                                                                    
  scan: none requested                                                                                                            
config:                                                                                                                           

NAME                                            STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM                                                
        PoolA                                           ONLINE       0     0     0                                                
          raidz1-0                                      ONLINE       0     0     0                                                
            gptid/fcdd10ed-8276-11e4-9022-40167e67c7a4  ONLINE       0     0     0                                                
            gptid/fdbcfa1f-8276-11e4-9022-40167e67c7a4  ONLINE       0     0     0                                                
            gptid/fe95d512-8276-11e4-9022-40167e67c7a4  ONLINE       0     0     0                                                
            gptid/ff5789f5-8276-11e4-9022-40167e67c7a4  ONLINE       0     0     0                                                

errors: No known data errors                                                                                                      

pool: PoolB                                                                                                                     
config:                                                                                                                           

NAME                                            STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM                                                
        PoolB                                           ONLINE       0     0     0                                                
          raidz1-0                                      ONLINE       0     0     0                                                
            gptid/2ca2e5d7-8669-11e4-88f8-40167e67c7a4  ONLINE       0     0     0                                                
            gptid/2cdcb60f-8669-11e4-88f8-40167e67c7a4  ONLINE       0     0     0                                                
            gptid/2d9de64f-8669-11e4-88f8-40167e67c7a4  ONLINE       0     0     0                                                
            gptid/2e5d7e49-8669-11e4-88f8-40167e67c7a4  ONLINE       0     0     0                                                

pool: freenas-boot                                                                                                              
config:                                                                                                                           

NAME                                          STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM                                                  
        freenas-boot                                  ONLINE       0     0     0                                                  
          gptid/dc7df653-82b7-11e4-91b9-40167e67c7a4  ONLINE       0     0     0                                                  

Untitled-2.jpg

Read about TB vs TiB.

I was just starting to do some reading on that.

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
ITGuy, it'd be helpful if you posted your FreeNAS version--I suspect it's 9.3. I think what's happening in 9.3 is that the "pool" capacity is being reported as the raw size of the pool (i.e., total capacity of all disks), while the "dataset" capacity is net (all disks less parity). If that's what it's doing, your results look right.

ITGuy1024

Explorer
Dan, I believe you're right and I am using 9.3
I think also I'm not used to seeing storage in Tib.

I guess I was expecting to see something closer to 9TB usable.

Status
Not open for further replies.