volume failed unlocked [resolved]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angate

Cadet
I had my boot USB get corrupt and I am trying to re-import my volume on the new install. The volume is encrypted, but I do of course have the key and pass-phrase. The issue is, if I load my backup (containing my users, volumes etc), the volume won't unlock. If I just use a fresh install it will fail to import, though I am positive I am using the correct key and pass-phrase.

On boot it says something about the geli key not being in the directory for each disk, but it flys by fast.

When I try to unlock the volume the error is: Importing Tardis [914997027649301899587] failed with: cannot import '914997027649301899587' : no pool available

What might I do here? What other info can I provide to help figure it out?

dmesg:
http://pastebin.com/BC7d2LHm

Saved debug:
Attached

Specs:
asrock C2550D4I
Intel Avoton C2550 Quad-Core Processor
2x Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC
5 WD red 3TB hdds
Encrypted Raid z1

Attachments

• debug-NASty-20150719141924.tgz
    137.3 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
What might I do here? What other info can I provide to help figure it out?

I'd start with the forum rules.. it makes plenty of recommendations..

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Angate, for future reference, it's best to post a new message if you wish to add important information. Edits aren't marked as new messages.

fta

Contributor
After you load your backup, you'll need to detach the volume. Then do the import. However, if a fresh install couldn't import it with your backed up key and passphrase, one or both are bad, and you're in trouble.

Angate

Cadet
If it helps with where I am I will give the order of my attempts:

Fresh Install. I loaded my backup before attempting to import. Tardis (the volume) was locked, and unlock failed. Attempted to import. I got through all 3 steps but when I got to step 3 of 3, select the volume to import, the list was empty, I presume because Tardis, the only volume, was already imported. I detached and rebooted. After that point, it would no longer allow me to get pas the point of the import where I enter my key file and passphrase.

When I detached, I DID NOT select the top box; mark disks new, but I did leave the bottom box checked. Did I screw myself leaving it checked?

fta

Contributor
As long as you didn't check the mark as new, it should be fine. You didn't need to reboot after the detach. I'm unsure what state you're in now. You might try restoring the backup, doing the detach (no reboot), then doing the import.

Angate

Cadet
I have tried from different angles a dozen times now from doing a fresh install and import to restoring, detaching and importing and am getting stuck at the same place. Does freeNAS report anywhere why it won't import? It just says fail, I wonder if I am not providing what it's asking for or if somehow it can't find on the disks what it needs?

fta

Contributor
If you do the following and only the following steps:

1) restore config
2) detach
3) import

And then immediately create a debug file after it fails, I might be able to help. Unfortunately, freenas's logging sucks, but it might clue us in.

Angate

Cadet
Done and attached. I did have to mess with the network interface after the restore to get web gui access though.

Attachments

• debug-NASty-20150720175954.tgz
    102.4 KB · Views: 246

fta

Contributor
Code:
geli attach -j /tmp/tmpQFs281 -k /var/tmp/firmware/tmpQnsyej gptid/8f65509c-c670-11e3-a9b1-1c6f65c446e2 -> 1 (geli: Wrong key for gptid/8f65509c-c670-11e3-a9b1-1c6f65c446e2.

The key you are using is not correct.

Angate

Cadet
I will dig out my flashdrive with my backup key. I also tried both geli.key and geli_recovery.keym you may see two attempts there. What is the difference between the two?

fta

Contributor
Yes, there were two attempts. Both said your key was invalid.

The recovery key is the simplest option. You can use it without a passphrase.

Angate

Cadet
Yes, there were two attempts. Both said your key was invalid.

The recovery key is the simplest option. You can use it without a passphrase.

You! You sir are my hero. Using the recovery key without pass phrase did it.

Status
Not open for further replies.